|11 Mar.||Teacher Council’s Tapasā PLD workshop North Auckland 3:30 – 5:45pm.|
|11-17 Mar||International Brain Awareness Week www.neurological.org.nz|
|13-16 Mar||Ak ASB Polyfest. www.asbpolyfest.co.nz|
|13 Mar||Walk to work day. www.livingstreets.org.nz|
|14 Mar||World Kidney Day. www.kidneys.co.nz|
|15 Mar||Deadline to book for Ak Astro Soc Dark Sky Weekend. firstname.lastname@example.org|
|19 Mar||Teacher Council’s Tapasā PLD workshop Central Auckland 6:30 – 8:45pm.|
|20 Mar||Deadline to apply for the term 3 intake of the Science Teaching Leadership Program|
|21 Mar||Autumnal Equinox NZ http://www.rasnz.org.nz/in-the-sky/sun-rise-and-set|
|21 Mar||World Forestry Day www.fitec.org.nz|
|21 Mar||World Down Syndrome Day http://www.un.org/en/events/downsyndromeday/|
|22 Mar||World Water Day www.emap.rsnz.org http://www.worldwaterday.org/|
|22 Mar||Teacher Council’s Tapasā PLD workshop South Auckland 3:30 – 5:45pm.|
|23 Mar||World Meteorological Day. www.metservice.co.nz à Learning Centre|
|24 Mar||World Tuberculosis day www.stoptb.org|
|25 Mar||BEANZ workshop 9am-1pm, Karamu HS, ethical thinking email@example.com|
|Moon||1Q Mar 14 FM Mar 21 3Q Mar 28 NM Apr 5|
- Some posters about differentiation.
- Resources for teaching maramataka (Māori moon calendar) https://www.tepapa.govt.nz/learn/for-educators/teaching-resources/maramataka-maori-calendar-learning-resource
- Last week’s leadership poster was a poor link. Try this https://www.impact.wales/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/What_great_leaders_Say-updated.pdf
- Need some $$$ for STEM equipment? Want some solar panels for your school? Apply to Genesis School-Gen Trust by April 12. https://www.genesisschoolgentrust.org.nz
- Royal Society talk – Prof Rangi Matamua shares his detailed knowledge about Matariki and highlights connections between cultural knowledge and science at several cities in both NZ & Australia. Starting 11 April https://royalsociety.org.nz/events/.
- Whitebait connection is a citizen science LEOTC provider who come in to your school and support you in teaching and learning about whitebait & water quality, and then out in the field, sampling a local stream. Many schools & kura are finding their program useful. They are holding a Mountains to Sea National Wananga in Kaitaia 26-28 April (hols!). https://www.whitebaitconnection.co.nz/service/marine-and-freshwater-wananga.html
- Earth Learning Idea activity using rocks to make musical instruments https://www.earthlearningidea.com/PDF/308_Rocks_music.pdf
- The mighty Mitochondrion and respiration https://www.compoundchem.com/2018/11/27/respiration/
- TED talk on Homo naledi.
- The ARBs are developing interactive resources that students can complete online. This is a list of all they have so far. https://arbs.nzcer.org.nz/lookup//type/online-interactive-1354?mc_cid=bc5385cf52&mc_eid=8f61c7dba4
- A Quiz from New Scientist – how well do you know the periodic table https://www.newscientist.com/article/2194890-elements-quiz-how-well-do-you-know-the-periodic-table/
- A periodic table scavenger hunt attached.
- An interactive student activity investigating motion and mass and gravitational potential energy http://www.sciencekids.co.nz/gamesactivities/forcesinaction.html
- An article in New Scientist 10 Nov 2018 described strategies to combat the lack of women in physics. Non-subscribers can access such articles from their local library.
- Free TES activity making a model of El Nino & La Nina
Can You Help?
“Samoa College Old Pupils Association here in NZ have a ‘Resource-Drive project” running this month, fundraising for resources like text books and science equipment our school could not afford due to very limited funding. So this is a small plea for science colleagues in Auckland if you have sci/bio/chem/phys textbooks (junior & senior level) or science equipment YOU NO LONGER NEED that you want to get rid of, I will happily take them away for you:) please email me. Many many thanks in advance for your support of this great cause & science learning in the islands. Fa’afetai lava.” Pauai Faamanatu-Afele mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
Professional Learning & Development (PLD) Opportunities
- Teacher’s Refresher Course Committee offers courses for teachers, by teachers. TRCC are running a one-day course in primary science education for primary & secondary teachers working together in a Community of Learning. Jul – Oct in Greymouth, Alexandra, Hamilton & Wellington. https://trcc.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/TRCC-PSCI-flyer-FINAL.pdf
- Physikos is the major PD opportunity for NZ physics educators & it will be part of the NZIP conference at Canterbury uni, at the brand-new Ernest Rutherford building, 15-17 April. http://Confer.nz/nzip2019 & email@example.com
- Western Springs College / Ngā Puna o Waiōrea in Ak will host Mark Standley, a physics moderator on Mon April 8. $120 per person. The workshop will cover investigations P2.1 & P3.1 as well as P2.5 (atomic & nuclear Physics). Please email Kathryn Jenkin firstname.lastname@example.org
- The information for the workshops on years 1-10 science for Dunedin & Invercargill is now available. https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Workshop-flyer-Invercargill-04-April-2019.pdf https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Workshop-flyer-Dunedin-05-April-2019.pdf