|19 Mar||Teacher Council’s Tapasā PLD workshop Central Auckland 6:30 – 8:45pm.|
|20 Mar||Deadline to apply for the term 3 intake of the Science Teaching Leadership Program|
|21 Mar||World Down Syndrome Day http://www.un.org/en/events/downsyndromeday/|
|21 Mar||Autumnal Equinox NZ |
|21 Mar||World Forestry Day www.fitec.org.nz|
|22 Mar||World Water Day www.emap.rsnz.org http://www.worldwaterday.org/|
|22 Mar||Teacher Council’s Tapasā PLD workshop South Auckland 3:30 – 5:45pm.|
|23 Mar||World Meteorological Day. www.metservice.co.nz then to Learning Centre|
|24 Mar||World Tuberculosis day www.stoptb.org|
|25 Mar||BEANZ workshop 9am-1pm, Karamu, tchg ethical thinking email@example.com|
|30 Mar||Earth hour 8:30 – 9:30 pm www.wwf.org.nz www.earthhour.org.nz|
|30 Mar||Free Ak Schol Bio workshop for tchrs & sts. firstname.lastname@example.org|
|2 Apr||World Autism day. www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism/world-autism-awareness-day|
|Moon||FM Mar 21 3Q Mar 28 NM Apr 5 1Q Apr 13|
- Culturally Responsive & Relational Pedagogy:
- Traditional Māori uses of native plants https://www.otago.ac.nz/marine-studies/resources/download/otago062847.pdf
- Activity book for learning some te reo Māori https://www.tepapa.govt.nz/sites/default/files/te-reo-maori-activity-book-aug2018-a5.pdf
- The 2018 updated Tiritiri Matangi student Activity Resources are now in place. http://www.tiritirimatangi.org.nz/school-resource-tiritiri-matangi-project
- Onslow College student Finnegan Messerli created a way of testing the properties of grains such as sand or salt without expensive equipment to win the Prime Minister’s Future Scientist award.
- The winner of the Prime Minister’s Science Teacher Prize is Carol Brieseman, a primary school teacher at Hampton Hill School, Wellington.
- Attached is a poster about bullying. https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Bullying-defn-1.png
- Lisa Allcott asked is there any difference between reading in print & reading on screen. She has collated research and written about her findings in her blog post. Reading on-screen vs reading in print: What’s the difference for learning?
- Download NASA’s 2019 e-book Earth (35.4 MB) which explores Earth as a system, examining the cycles & processes NASA has investigated in its study of our planet. https://www.nasa.gov/connect/ebooks/earth_detail.html
- Desalination plants release warm concentrated brine back into the ocean & this is harming local marine life. https://www.sciencenews.org/article/desalination-pours-more-toxic-brine-ocean-previously-thought
- A Science magazine review of the Periodic Table comprising 119 science haiku, that talk about the history and uses of each element.
- Periodic table scavenger hunt was missed off last week.
- Attached is a revision board game – a freebie from TES. https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Making-a-board-game-1.ppt
- A description of our Autumn night sky is attached. https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Autumn-Night-Sky-1.docx
I see centrally funded PLD is now referred to as locally focussed PLD http://services.education.govt.nz/pld/information-for-principals-and-school-leaders/how-to-apply-for-locally-focussed-pld/
Can You Help?
Alison Baatjies is trying to find a context for a L3 Bi Socio scientific issue that is relevant to her Maori and Pasifika boys. A socio-scientific issue is one that scientists argue about. Diabetes may be an option – there is no disagreement that there is a diabetes epidemic, but there may be some argument about causes and prevention. Has anyone got other ideas? email@example.com
Professional Learning & Development (PLD) Opportunities
- In the aftermath of the Christchurch tragedy Sabina & Carmen are no longer able to fly to Auckland this Friday so the National workshop has been cancelled
- In response to requests, MoE is providing PLD to strengthen local curriculum design, for teachers working in both English-medium and Māori-medium. This is being offered in 23 centres around the country so there should be one near you. Soon, 18 March – 22 April. http://nzcurriculum.tki.org.nz/Reviewing-your-curriculum/Leading-Local-Curriculum-Guide-series/Strengthening-Local-Curriculum-Design-workshops