|2-8 Aug||Cook Islands Maori Language week www.mpia.govt.nz|
|4 Aug||CSIRO webinar about using GLOBE to study earth’s 4 spheres 6:30-7:10 pm NZT|
|5 Aug||Deadline to register for NZIBO www.nzibo.org|
|6 Aug||4-4:45pm Science Learning Hub webinar on freshwater monitoring Register here.|
|6 Aug 1945||Hiroshima Day http://www.hiroshima-remembered.com/|
|9-15 Aug||Maths Week www.mathsweek.org.nz/|
|10 Aug||Deadline for L1 science subject list consultation. Go here|
|10Aug1897||Aspirin discovered https://www.sciencehistory.org/historical-profile/felix-hoffmann|
|15-23 Aug||Conservation week www.doc.govt.nz|
|Moon||FM 4 Aug 3Q 12 Aug NM 19 Aug 1Q 26 Aug|
- Conservation Week is now 15-23 Aug. At doc.govt.nz/conservationweek find quiz, events, activities. Nature Taster activities here. Activities on natives & pests here.
- Culturally Responsive & Relational Pedagogy:
- A series of cards for display, each exploring a whakatauki, with questions to consider https://tewhariki.tki.org.nz/assets/Uploads/Te-Whariki-Whakatauki.pdf
- An article about strategies to encourage metacognition – thinking about thinking. http://www.karentuiboyes.com/2020/07/metacognition-thinking-about-your-thinking/
- Professional reading/watching:
- An article about some drawbacks of streaming to start discussion [Carmen Kenton] https://ngaitahu.iwi.nz/our_stories/time-to-raise-the-gaze-tk85
- Close reading in science https://jenniferfindley.com/how-to-implement-close-reading-in-science/
- To find out how to set up your study space at home watch the Study Enviro Rap on YouTube. Please Click Here
- Digital support
- Designing online learning https://hail.to/nex/publication/RTAchfq/articles/tag/A6fIPxj
- Report on using social media as a teaching tool https://theeducationhub.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Social-media.pdf
- Sarah Gaze is doing research on Climate Change teaching for her masters. If you have even thought about teaching climate change please consider responding to her survey: https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Climate-Change-teaching-survey.pdf
- Correction: please send nominations for SCENZ regional reps to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Agricultural and Horticultural Science:
- A one-page summary on tools being researched for methane mitigation https://www.dairynz.co.nz/news/tools-for-methane-mitigation/
- Earth & Space Science
- NASA’s EO Kids shows students how to use the Globe Observer app (https://observer.globe.gov/) to collect their own scientific observations.
- Award-winning video Why Earth Science illustrates the importance of Earth science. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1cKBuxBWKY
- 3 min video about ocean currents, focus on the East Australian Current (Chapter 2).
- A series of resources on composite materials https://www.stem.org.uk/elibrary/resource/27282
- An element scavenger hunt https://inchemistry.acs.org/content/inchemistry/en/student-chapters/iypt-scavanger-hunt.html
- An insulation activity with a difference https://www.stem.org.uk/elibrary/resource/34053
- Report on 5G from PM’s Science Advisor https://www.pmcsa.ac.nz/topics/5g-in-aotearoa-new-zealand/
- Science of COVID-19:
- Videos for Sustainability lessons made for lockdown. https://www.abc.net.au/tveducation/programs/eco-eye-sustainable-solutions/12211136
- Sustainability resources from STEM (UK). Look at STEM club videos too. https://www.stem.org.uk/news-and-views/news/success-stem-clubs-week-2020
- Scottish STEM units https://education.gov.scot/improvement/learning-resources/stem-central/
- Kiwi Conservation Club is looking for reporters https://kcc.org.nz/kcc-reporters/
- Nature of Science
- Interviews with Juliet Gerard & info sheets explaining the evidence for NZ’s key COVID-19 decisions https://www.pmcsa.ac.nz/topics/covid-19/
Professional Learning & Development (PLD) Opportunities
- Learning Network NZ PLD for both primary & secondary, face to face course in Auckland on Co-teaching & Collaboration – the why & how of teaching together. 14 Aug.
- Core-Ed offers an advanced Leadership Program for women in education, any sector. A 6-month course with online, challenge and peer coaching sessions. Apply now to start Feb 2021 https://www.core-ed.org/professional-learning-solutions/advanced-leadership/
- ASCD virtual conference 13-14 Aug. Info here.
- Until 14 Aug Education Hub is offering NZ schools the chance to participate in Evidence-Based Education’s award-winning Assessment Lead Programme. $2000, but a 50% subsidy for 10 schools. This PLD supports schools in rethinking their approach to assess-ment & to implementing change. https://theeducationhub.org.nz/assessment-lead-course/
- Auckland’s Sustainable schools PLD on Gardening, 12 Aug register with TChristie@aucklandcouncil.govt.nz by 10 Aug.
- Nature photography workshops for Auckland schools by nature photographer Tushar Sharma (tusharma.com) from registered charity IMAgEN8 www.imagen8.co.nz. Nurture a Love for Nature workshops develop digital photography skills and improve mental wellbeing. Please see theworkshop flyer for more info. Art teachers may also be interested.
- “Calling all Auckland/Northland Earth and Space Science teachers!! Any interest in attending a teacher day at Auckland uni on 20 November? Please take a minute to complete this form. Please share with any/all in your ESS network that we might not have contact details for!” ESSE
- Learn how to test the health of the stream waters within the Whau River Catchment area, Tues 11 August 10am. Contact email@example.com or 021627864.