Dates to Note
|Feb 26||Teacher Council’s Tapasā PLD workshop Palmerston North 3:30 – 5:45pm. Book here.|
|Feb 28||The Science of Learning – online PLD (3h weekly) starts & continues for 5 weeks|
|Mar 1-31||Melanoma March|
|Mar 2-10||Sea week|
|Mar 3||World wildlife Day|
|Mar 3-9||Hearing Awareness Week|
|Mar 5||Teacher Council’s Tapasā PLD workshop Hamilton 3:30 – 5:45pm. Book here.|
|Mar 6||Teacher Council’s Tapasā PLD workshop Wellington Central 6:30 – 8:45pm. Book here.|
|Mar 7||Teacher Council’s Tapasā PLD workshop Wellington Porirua 3:30 – 5:45pm. Book here.|
|Mar11-17||International Brain Awareness Week www.neurological.org.nz|
|Moon||3Q Feb. 27 NM Mar 7 1Q Mar 14 FM Mar 21.|
- Addressing Persistent Defiance has some good positive ideas.
- Icebreakers that don’t suck https://www.cultofpedagogy.com/classroom-icebreakers/
- An interesting article on culturally responsive and relational leadership by Kathryn O’Connell-Sutherland
- A reminder that NZASE subscriptions are now due. https://nzase.org.nz/membership/
- ELI activity to demonstrate how fold mountains like the Himalayas can form. https://www.earthlearningidea.com/PDF/Himalayas_in_30_seconds_final_071029.pdf
- The U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration promotes education about oceanic & atmospheric science. On NOAA Education Resourcessite you’ll find teaching tools and materials on oceans and coasts, climate, weather and atmosphere, marine life, freshwater, and other special topics.
- The Connected article Bringing back the Birdsong can be used to help students explore the Predator Free 2050 vision and develop their understanding of Ecosystems. Teachers Support material and Google slides here.
- The latest BEANZ newsletter is available online http://beanz.org.nz/beanz-newsletter-term-1-2019/
- The Soil Science Society of America supports geoscience teaching and learning about soils. They provide online educational resources tailored to both teachers& students, including lessons, activities, fun facts, sites of interest organized by soil topic and grade level, and soil definitions for the novice soil scientist.
- Info on summer night sky is attached. Next week, info on free astro conf for students. SUMMER Night Sky
- Science Learning Hub has a new collections tool to store related resources. They are sharing some of their collections – this one is on the Periodic Table.
- Chem Cmpd infographic on the history and theories of the atom. https://www.compoundchem.com/2016/10/13/atomicmodels/
- Activities to help students learn about Newton’s Laws on Motion http://www.titlemax.com/resources/newtons-laws-of-motion-and-car-physics/
- Some ideas on simple machines with a matching list and a research task.
- AGI’s Critical Issues website provides useful information on current issues. Much of it is USA-focused but this looks useful: Present Day Climate Change information and accompanying factsheet.
Can You Help?
Sarah Parker is looking for help with resources for S1.10 using a digestive and respiratory systems context for less able students. SParker@lynfield.school.nz
Professional Learning & Development (PLD) Opportunities
- Sabina Cleary & Carmen Kenton of Kaha Education are running a series of regional workshops for teachers of years 1 – 10 science free for NZASE members. Info attached.NZASE Science Network of Expertise 2019