|27 Nov||Wellington Physics PLD (Vic-Uni) link to register email@example.com|
|27 Nov||Biology in Context Day at Unitec, organized by Mel Galbraith.|
|28 Nov||CIE technicians course, Pinehurst School. RSVP firstname.lastname@example.org|
|29 Nov||Physics teacher day: Napier Girls Site here – with draft agenda|
|29 Nov||Wellington Chemistry meeting (Vic-Uni): link to register email@example.com|
|29 Nov||Adelaide Botanic High School is hosting a STEM conference. Info here.|
|1Dec||World AIDS Day www.nzaf.org.nz (Red Ribbon)|
|2 Dec||Workshop on enabling Pasifika success, 83 Selwyn St, Onehunga, Ak. 9:15-3. Book here.|
|3 Dec||Phys & chem meeting (Vic-Uni): link to register firstname.lastname@example.org|
|4 Dec||Exam-feedback evening (NCEA) run by ASTA at Epsom campus of UoA.|
|5 Dec||World Soil Day www.nzsoils.org.nz|
|Moon||NM Nov 27 1Q Dec 4 FM Dec 12 3Q Dec 19.|
- Culturally Responsive & Relational Pedagogy:
- Kauwhata Reo is a new central online hub for te reo Māori resources to support the growth of teaching and learning te reo Māori. The hub can be viewed in te reo Māori or English. https://kauwhatareo.govt.nz/
- This site has some good resources on working with students’ ideas https://ambitiousscienceteaching.org/get-started/
- Science Careers
- Stardome has an article on NZ women in science https://www.stardome.org.nz/kiwi-women-in-science-how-are-we-doing/
- Practical information for schools on 3D printing in the classroom – considerations when purchasing, software, innovative ways to use it. TKI newsletter about:http://elearning.tki.org.nz/Technologies/Software-for-learning/3D-printing
- Planning and preparation for successful transition between primary and secondary schools https://www.education.vic.gov.au/school/teachers/studentmanagement/transitions/Pages/planning.aspx
- This activity involves a discussion about different types of sedimentary layers & evidence that might be laid down and preserved in different land & coastal environments. https://www.earthlearningidea.com/PDF/327_What_layers_are_preserved.pdf
- A short video clip on finding Homo naledi https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vLSNk5nZQY&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR37Ll0S16gjiK0aypBWmc4KC-Ych1eADZPy0djYVrDf32NAnYVQbruYJMU
- In this TED talk, astronaut Cady Coleman tells us what it’s like to live on board the ISS. https://bit.ly/35eF3Y0
- To help you sort those tricky equations https://chemequations.com/en/?s=HNO3+%2B+Cu&ref=input
- PhET’s latest simulations are Vector Additionand Vector Addition: Equations. These help students explain a method to add vectors, decompose a vector into components, describe what happens to a vector when it is multiplied by a scalar and arrange vectors graphically to represent vector addition or subtraction.
- Take a virtual field trip to discover fascinating Antarctic wildlife & meet scientists & artists living on the frozen continent. https://www.victoria.ac.nz/engage/public/lifelong-learning/edx-victoria/antarctica-life-on-the-frozen-continent
- House of Science offers themed kits of practical science activities for use in primary schools. 11 regions have libraries of bilingual resources that are delivered and collected from your school weekly. https://houseofscience.nz/resources/
- The International Commission for Acoustics has declared 2020 as the International Year of Sound. NZAPSE will be providing activities and resources to support the teaching of sound and hearing over National Primary Science Week 11-15 2020.
Can you help?
- Two teacher educators from Otago uni are conducting research about Teaching and learning about fake news. If you are interested in their survey, info is attached: https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Fake-News-Survey.docx
- Technicians are being asked for ideas for end of year activities. Here’s some suggestions: https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/End-of-Year-Activities.docx What do you do?
Professional Learning & Development (PLD) Opportunities
- Rachel Heeney tells us there is no Biology PLD from Maurice Wilkins Centre this term, but it is being planned for term 1 2020. If you have any specific topics or speakers please request this on Maurice Wilkins Centre FaceBook page.