|14 Nov||World Diabetes day https://worlddiabetesday.org/about/theme/|
|15 Nov||Next Wellington HoDs meeting 1-3pm at St Pat’s, Kilbirnie|
|17 Nov||Peak of Leonid meteor shower 4 am http://www.rasnz.org.nz/in-the-sky/meteor-showers|
|17 Nov||Chemistry Teachers Day at Ak uni. Free. Info and registration here.|
|18 Nov||International day of LGBT people in STEM. https://prideinstem.org/lgbtstemday/|
|18-24 Nov||Antibiotic Resistance www.who.int/campaigns/world-antibiotic-awareness-week/en/|
|23 Nov||Te Papa talk on adapting Botanic Gardens for climate change 11am-12:30pm. $30|
|23 Nov||BEANZ workshop Dunedin, Logan Park HS, 74 Butts Rd. 9-3. Register here|
|24-27 Nov||Great Southern Bioblitz Register and upload observations to iNaturalist. Info here.|
|24 Nov||Physics Teacher’s Day LT401 in the Engineering Bldg, 20 Symonds St, Ak.|
|27 Nov||Deadline to apply for South Auckland Participatory Science Platform funding here|
|30 Nov||Deadline to apply to enter for The Earth Prize sustainability project. Info here.|
|Moon||NM Nov 13 1Q Nov 20 FM Nov 27 3Q Dec 5|
- Genetics Otago is hosting a hands-on workshop for local science teachers on their latest outreach module: Rare Genetic Disease. Tues 14 Nov, 1-3pm at Otago Uni. Sign up here.
- Dr Philip Hulme, Lincoln Uni, speaks on the huge impact invasive species have on food security, human health & the environment and what we can do. Wed 22 Nov, 7:30-8:30. Online. Register here
- SCENZ will have its AGM online 8-8:45 pm, Th 23 Nov. SCENZ members will get an invite.
- The Agriculture Teachers Association of South Australia has their national conference in Victor Harbour 7-11 Jan 2024. Register here http://thq.fyi/se/WrouNXE
- Ideas to develop critical thinking skills https://britannicaeducation.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/IQ_Poster2.jpg
- Professional reading/watching/listening:
- Article about the causes of absenteeism (1 free article per month from TES) https://www.tes.com/magazine/teaching-learning/general/how-to-fix-pupil-attendance-research-view
- Student opportunities:
- STEM workshop for female high school students and/or their teachers as part of an Inter-national Women in Engineering conference at Ak uni. Free. 8am-1:30pm 12 Dec. Register here.
- Sources of readings for students https://classtechtips.com/2017/01/06/science-reading-passages/
- Article on graphic organisers https://britannicaeducation.com/blog/graphic-organizers/ with templates here https://britannicaeducation.com/resources/#f[product]=&f[category]=&f[type]=
- Digital support:
- Digital tools for science https://view.genial.ly/65342599d6c260001099d3ef
- Digital resources to support flipped classrooms https://britannicaeducation.com/blog/graphic-organizers/
- Bio resources for biology week from STEM https://www.stem.org.uk/resources/collection/515556/biology-week-16th-20th-october-2023
- A cell membrane interactive from PBS https://www.pbslearningmedia.org/resource/tdc02.sci.life.cell.membraneweb/cell-membrane-just-passing-through
- Agricultural and Horticultural Science:
- Article on farming kingfish https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programmes/countrylife/audio/2018912894/from-sea-to-land-the-kingfish-farm-of-the-future
- Article on purple carrots https://www.zmescience.com/medicine/genetic/why-carrots-are-orange/
- Earth & Space Science:
- A Million Miles Away is a movie out on Prime Video. It tells the story of a Mexican migrant farm worker who becomes an astronaut.
- Kim Currie, a NIWA scientist, recorded a presentation “Carbon Dioxide and Me – a personal relationship” that focuses on Ocean Acidification here.
- ESS webinars and resources https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1R65CL7T_BByMN7L-MMGltmmqUO37yapO
- a series of lessons by STEM UK (join for free) on plastics – properties, production in industry and in the classroom, comparing types, decomposition and recycling.
- Teaching reversible reactions and equilibrium https://edu.rsc.org/cpd/how-to-teach-reversible-reactions-and-equilibrium-at-14-16/4018148.article
- Article on popcorn physics https://www.stuff.co.nz/science/66105879/scientists-unravel-the-secrets-of-popcorn-physics
- 4th NZIP video about teaching energy: Examples of Energy Bar Charts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQi5fcpmT3Y
- Primary & intermediate:
- STEM Insights is a new magazine for secondary teachers and students https://magazines.stem.org.uk/stem-insights-magazine-secondary-edition-01.html
Professional Learning & Development (PLD) Opportunities
- GeoScience Info For teachers is PLD for teachers at EGU Assembly 14-17 April Vienna, Austria. Significant subsidy, high quality PLD. Applications close 10 Dec. More info at www.egu.eu/education/gift. Can also join online – collection of 20 yrs of presentations here: https://www.egu.eu/education/gift/workshops.
Mike’s News is brought to you with the generous support of Warp Computers