|15 Jun||Global Wind Day www.windenergy.org.nz/resources/for-teachers|
|21 Jun||Winter solstice NZ http://www.rasnz.org.nz/in-the-sky/sun-rise-and-set|
|21 Jun||Annular Solar Eclipse|
|22 Jun||Matariki constellation becomes visible for most parts of NZ (or Puanga elsewhere)|
|27Jun-5Jul||NZ Garden Bird Survey. http://gardenbirdsurvey.landcareresearch.co.nz/|
|Moon||NM 21Jun 1Q 28 Jun FM 5 Jul 3Q 13 Jul|
- Culturally Responsive & Relational Pedagogy:
- Matariki resources:
- Sing this waiata to learn the names of the 7 Matariki stars. https://www.tepapa.govt.nz/discover-collections/read-watch-play/maori/matariki-maori-new-year/whare-tapere/waiata-song
- From Stardome observatory https://www.stardome.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Stardome-Education_Matariki.pdf
- More info here https://milky-way.kiwi/when-is-matariki/
- Matariki resources:
- Tips to stop disruptive behaviour before it begins https://www.edutopia.org/article/8-proactive-classroom-management-tips?
- Professional reading:
- Fostering metacognition in science http://www.ascd.org/ascd-express/vol15/num07/tips-for-building-metacognitive-muscle.aspx
- Until 15 Aug Students can apply for Ngā Karahipi Uru Rākau Forestry Scholarships, for study beginning next year.There are 8 scholarships available encouraging Māori and women to study Forestry at Canterbury uni. More info here.
- Brainpop is free til Jun 30 – videos, questions, concept-mapping, worksheets, readings, games. https://www.brainpop.com
- Café Scientifique Tauranga Mon 22 Jun, 7-9pm at Tauranga Yacht & Power Boat Club, 90 Keith Allen Dr. Estimating biodiversity & abundance of sharks. $5. Please book your place.
- An online Careers expo will be held 18 Jun 12-8pm and 19 Jun 9am-5pm. Students can visit stalls, chat live with those there, watch on-demand videos. Interested students can register at:https://www.mediadesignschool.com/virtual-careers-expo#register-now.
- Te Kura (formerly the Correspondence School) has made available online courses til the end of Feb 2021 – ClassroomNZ2020. Students may use these to consolidate learning disrupted by COVID-19 and to review learning as prep for NCEA internals & externals. Teachers may find these teaching & assessment resources useful to build capability & confidence with blended & distance learning. Find info for science subjects here. Register your interest here. We will need a code for access – details soon.
- Dr Roger Wiens talks about robotic Mars missions online 7:30 – 8:10 pm Jun 18 CT (12:30 – 1:10 pm NZT Jun 19). Connect here (leave some time for this as you will be downloading & installing a program). https://meetings.ringcentral.com/join?jid=1489895375
- Digital tools to analyse health of a stream using given or own data https://about.dataclassroom.com/blog/macroinvertebrate?
- Alison Campbell works through the answer to a schol bio question – honey creeper https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MjTWiUK5U9c2znyxw7SCTcsQKDhDOQ54/view
- Video clip showing why we have knee caps https://www.gif-vif.com/Why-we-have-kneecaps/ [Maddie Ware]
- Agricultural and Horticultural Science:
- A recorded webinar from science learning hub on their resources for the 2 subjects https://www.sciencelearn.org.nz/resources/2106-agriculture-and-horticulture
- Stats re irrigation in NZ https://www.stats.govt.nz/indicators/irrigated-land
- Earth & Space Science
- Video and teaching resources on what happens when satellites collide https://education.australiascience.tv/scinema-2019-kessler-syndrome-what-happens-when-satellites-collide/
- ELI videos https://www.earthlearningidea.com/home/Teaching_videos_workshops.html
- Titration online experiment with teacher notes (3 acid-base, 1 redox titration) https://edu.rsc.org/resources/titration-screen-experiment/2077.article
- This interactive pH simulation from RSC allows students to explore the different parameters that affect pH: you can add a variety of common solutions, modify the concentration and see the effects.
- The chemistry of tear gas and pepper sprays
- TEDEd lesson on renewable energy https://ed.ted.com/on/dRmHsmJE?theme_id=earth-school
- Measure the width of a human hair with a laser pointer – a lesson in diffraction https://www.sciencenewsforstudents.org/blog/eureka-lab/measure-width-your-hair-laser-pointer
- Science of COVID-19
- How do ventilators work? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDtKBXOEsoM
- Brainpop resources for teaching about coronavirus [Maddie Ware] https://www.brainpop.com/health/diseasesinjuriesandconditions/coronavirus
- Ak city council’s sustainability team is sharing their resources. Go here, select the + in the top right-hand corner and enter class code hwbjud6 then go to classwork.
- NZ Garden Bird Survey is 27 Jun – 5 Jul. A great citizen science program to get your students involved in https://gardenbirdsurvey.landcareresearch.co.nz
- Sound activities https://www.sciencelearn.org.nz/resources/2919-sounds-of-aotearoa
- Forces & Motion https://www.science-sparks.com/pirate-magnet-sensory-bottle/
- Nature of Science
- NY Times article on how to read a scientific paper https://www.nytimes.com/article/how-to-read-a-science-study-coronavirus.html
- NZIP have a recording of the webinar held with NZQA & MoE about physics assessments this year. Contact Helen at email@example.com for the link.
- Register here asap for a NZQA & MoE webinar on assessing in biology 2020 on Wed 17 Jun 4pm. https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_t0I73fpuScSZv4R9f9my2w . You will then get a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
Professional Learning & Development (PLD) Opportunities
- STEM Learning (UK) has some online PLD available:
- Introduction to Assessment for Learning – 3h/wk for 3 weeks until 29 Jun https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/introducing-assessment-for-learning
- Linking curricular learning to STEM careers 3h/wk for 4 wks til 20 Jul https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/linking-stem-curriculum-learning-to-careers
Te Kura is advertising a position leading their physics team. Apply by 24 June. https://careers.tekura.school.nz/jobs/Wellington/TS-1465912
- Book a gel electrophoresis kit from UoC https://www.canterbury.ac.nz/science/outreach/learning-resources/gel-electrophoresis-kit/
- A smartphone attachment that gives a 30X microscopic view. $5. Free delivery for 9+ https://www.kmart.co.nz/product/smartphone-microscope-converter/1002307