|1 Aug||1st Teach Engineering 2-day online workshop starts 3am. Info here.|
|6 Aug 1945||Hiroshima Day http://www.hiroshima-remembered.com/|
|8-14 Aug||Maths Week www.mathsweek.org.nz/|
|9 Aug||Deadline to make an insect-like robot for Mars. Info here|
|17 Aug||Discussion about new S1.2 Investigative Approaches 5pm https://youtu.be/xtwooIEBjiI|
|Moon||1Q Aug 5 FM Aug 12 3Q Aug 19 NM Aug 27|
- The Auckland Science Teachers’ Association is putting on some PLD about developing the skills junior students need to achieve at L1 with the new Science standards. 24 Aug 5pm. https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/ASTA-Workshop-preparing-Juniors-for-L1.pdf
- Mātauranga Māori
- Maramataka and the environment. https://thespinoff.co.nz/atea/02-07-2022/should-aotearoa-ditch-the-four-seasons
- Karakia for rat dissection: https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Karakia-for-rat-dissection.docx
- Student opportunities:
- The Science Summer Camp for Year-12 students interested in studying science at uni happens 12 – 16 Dec at University of Canterbury’s Ilam Campus. $575. Apply by 5 Aug. https://www.canterbury.ac.nz/science/outreach/events/summer-camp/
- The NZ team for the 2022 International Chemistry Olympiad did very well: https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Report-on-ICHO.docx Schools can now register for the September selection exam for next year’s team.
- This history revision activity may give you ideas for a science one
- Digital support:
- A red cross parcel for those still teaching students who are at home, version 4. https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Red-Cross-parcel-v4-2022.docx
- Students make a model skeleton on paper or online then use it to determine sex, race, height, age. https://www.biologycorner.com/2021/10/31/forensics-activity-the-mystery-of-the-bones/
- Recording of webinar The Earliest Human Ancestors https://youtu.be/CyVOWaBTmgU
- Agricultural and Horticultural Science:
- Science Learning Hub has resources on kiwifruit & avocado pollination as well as on bees.
- A teaching unit for Hydroponic Gardening https://ecommons.cornell.edu/bitstream/handle/1813/3283/Grow%20with%20the%20Flow.pdf
- Earth & Space Science:
- Spaceward Bound NZ brings model Mars rovers, telescopes and a portable planetarium to your school. https://milky-way.kiwi/learn/space-and-astronomy-for-schools/
- The August Night Sky: https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/The-August-Night-Sky.docx
- What’s on our Plates is a set of multi-media modules focusing on tectonics in NZ including the Alpine Fault & the Hikurangi subduction zone https://af8.org.nz/whats-on-our-plates/
- Infographics about the chemistry of ice cream and frozen desserts in general
- A video about Fritz Haber https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvknN89JoWo&t=640s
- Students extend their knowledge of electricity by building a model house with working lights and switches. https://www.learner.org/series/electricity-house-project/
- Activity measuring velocity of coronal mass ejection https://www.compadre.org/precollege/items/detail.cfm?ID=14744
- Primary & intermediate:
- A video about the solar system https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6AD3Bs9CbE
- Exploring the senses with younger students https://www.bioedonline.org/lessons-and-more/teacher-guides/k-1-the-senses/
- Registration is open for the global Climate Action Project. This free program allows students aged 5-18 to explore causes and effects of climate change, develop solutions and take action, collaborating at local and global levels. https://www.takeactionglobal.org/climate-action-schools/
- The physics and chemistry of rockets https://www.sciencelearn.org.nz/topics/rockets
- Case study of stream water quality https://www.biologycorner.com/2022/05/22/case-study-how-does-human-activity-affect-water-quality/
- Links with NZ History:
- The Space Place (Wgtn) planetarium show called Ngā Tohunga Whakatere – The Navigators tells the story of Māori, Pasifika and European navigation towards Aotearoa. More info here
Professional Learning & Development (PLD) Opportunities
- Apply for regionally-allocated PLD by Aug 12. You will be notified of the outcome by wk 8 so you can contact PLD facilitator & plan to start delivery next term. Schools can apply for this PLD to support the implementation of NCEA (under the ‘Local Curriculum Design’ priority).
- Learning Network NZ, 214 Universal Dr, Henderson.
- Kohia Teacher’s Centre, Gate 2, 76 Epsom Ave, Epsom
- The next Sir Paul Callaghan Science Academy: Chch 4-7 Oct. No course fees. Info & apply here.
- PhET virtual workshops on effective pedagogy for using simulations https://phet.colorado.edu/en/teaching-resources/virtual-workshop/
- Here’s a recording of the 2022 Cawthron Institute lecture where Prof Bronwyn Hayward spoke on Our children’s climate and how we can make a difference. Te Rerekohu Tuterangiwhiu gave a supporting lecture breaking down some common Maori words to find deeper meanings.
- Education Hub webinar: Neurodiversity in education by Dr Chiara Horlin 7:30 pm Tues 2 Aug.
- MoE’s PLD series with resources on mana ōrite: The next webisodes look at where to begin (3 Aug) & what can I do (10 Aug), next webinar 18 Aug. Sign up at https://www.manaorite.ac.nz/
Mike’s News is brought to you with the generous support of Warp Computers