|6 Apr||Deadline for students to enter Scientist for a day competition. firstname.lastname@example.org|
|7 Apr||World Health day www.who.int/ , go to Events calendar|
|12 Apr||International Day of Human Space Flight www.un.org/en/events/humanspaceflightday/|
|17 Apr||World Haemophilia day http://www.wfh.org/en/page.aspx?pid=492|
|Moon||FM 8 Apr 3Q 15 Apr NM 23 Apr 1Q 1 May|
- Definition of flipped classroom and some strategies https://www.linkedin.com/learning/flipping-the-classroom/what-is-a-flipped-classroom
- Leah Cleary’s resource on giving students choice in online learning https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1pCtxCODDWGoyRhiON6lBoYuamxupid9wEqvhENK9gY4/template/preview
- Some more help with online learning: https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Online-learning-6-April.docx
- Alana Madgwick has set up Waka blog at https://waka9club.wordpress.com/ It is a place where students and teachers can share their creativity during this potentially isolating time. Details are on this flyer. https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/waka-community.jpg
- Danielle Myburgh is surveying how schools have prepared for online learning & what support they need going forward. “Your feedback will help others know what to share in the coming days while we all prepare for a new adventure in schooling.” https://bit.ly/3aNoHZB
- A task with nitrogen cycle. This abstract concept can be difficult for pupils to under-stand – using the pretend ‘tagging’ method helps them to gain a more concrete idea of the steps involved https://www.earthlearningidea.com/PDF/335_Tag_nitrogen.pdf
- Some online geology resources https://www.sciencekids.co.nz/geology.html
- An online jigsaw about cell division in zygote from Otago museum. Challenging https://www.otagomuseum.nz/athome/20
- An interesting article on the Bat Woman of Wuhan https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-chinas-bat-woman-hunted-down-viruses-from-sars-to-the-new-coronavirus1/
- Coronavirus tests, viricides, hand sanitisers.
- Medicinal hemp https://cen.acs.org/food/food-science/Periodic-Graphics-Cannabidiol-medicine-hemp/98/i8
- Matchbox rockets https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFyKgmnCF-8&fbclid=IwAR3Aw9EEv8LVTuAX2UOQ8Dpg7njBmA5s0tVim0Q9j0Lw_6j3JuUAax4RBVM&app=desktop
- Using accelerometer app in a mobile phone https://bit.ly/3bUDW3b
- Online lessons on climate change from TES. Free but you need to sign up, https://www.tes.com/lessons/E_v9MjKzN1B5VA/is-climate-change-too-hot-for-the-classroom
- Make your own jigsaw puzzle Use any photo you have and upload to https://www.jigsawexplorer.com/online-jigsaw-puzzle-player.html. You can use the toggle menu on the left hand side to change the number of pieces in your puzzle.
- Prac activity to do at home – why are some markers permanent and some washable? https://aroundthekampfire.com/2019/05/sharpie-solubility-experiment-kids-science.html
- An oil and water experiment https://funlearningforkids.com/oil-water-science-exploration/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=pinterest&utm_campaign=tailwind_tribes&utm_content=tribes
- Nature of Science
- MoE recently launched 2 complementary websites to support home-based learning: Learning from home https://learningfromhome.govt.nz/ & Ki te Ao Mārama https://www.kauwhatareo.govt.nz/ki-te-ao-marama/
- NZQA has provided schools guidance on how to manage disruptions to internal and external assessments due to the COVID-19 outbreak.https://www.nzqa.govt.nz/about-us/news/covid-19-guidance-for-school-assessment/ Also with respect to Polyfest https://www.nzqa.govt.nz/about-us/news/covid-19-polyfest-assessment/
- MoE will be provisionally extending the closing date for thepublic engagement on the NCEA Level 1 provisional subject list from 20 April to 20 June 2020. The pandemic situation remains fluid and MoE recognise that this may require a review of the NCEA Change Programme’s other implementation timelines too.
Professional Learning & Development (PLD) Opportunities
- Webinars from Share My Lesson’s 2020 virtual conference are now available online. https://bit.ly/2UMCmL3
- Schools and kura can get support to help transition to distance learning from PLD providers. Email Enquiries@education.govt.nz to register your needs. The National PLD team at MoE will then connect the school or kura to a PLD provider who will be able to provide support. You can find more information on this in the 25 March special edition of the School Leaders Bulletin under “Support for your school to design and implement distance learning“.