|19 Jul||Café Scientifique, COVID variants, 7-9 pm, 90 Keith Allen Dr., Tauranga|
|21Jul1969||1st moon walk https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/apollo11.html|
|1-7 Aug||Cook Islands Maori Language week www.mpia.govt.nz|
|Moon||FM 24 Jul 3Q 1 Aug NM 9 Aug 1Q 16 Aug|
- Matariki resource collections from
- the National Library https://natlib.govt.nz/schools/topics/57b633138d2a4e536a001411/matariki
- Te Ara, the encyclopedia of NZ https://www.tepapa.govt.nz/discover-collections/read-watch-play/maori/matariki-maori-new-year
- EfS PLD: With new funding the NZ Association for Environmental Education want to find out what role they can play. Two speakers & discussion. bit.ly/3rbmb8L Wed 21 Jul, 3-5:30pm
- Finding Ada, an online conference for women in STEM, is on next week, with a day of sessions timed so NZers can even join live! https://findingada.com/…/the-finding-ada-conference-2021
- Link for those who did not get Mike’s News last week https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/mikes-news-jul-12/
- Mātauranga Māori
- Tihei Taiao is a series of video clips focussing on different tipu (plants) in our taiao – their kai or Rongoa uses and how to identify them.
- Dyeing activities L1-4 https://eng.keitemohiokoe.tki.org.nz/Overview-of-Chemistry
- Professional reading/watching:
- SET 2020 #2 article on collaborative teaching (needs a subscription for access
- Student opportunities:
- Two resources on hormones: podcast and interactive web page.
- Prof Alice Roberts talk on our ancestors https://royalsociety.org/science-events-and-lectures/2021/07/david-attenborough-award-lecture
- Agricultural and Horticultural Science:
- STORYING KAITIAKITANGA: Exploring Kaupapa Māori land and water food stories explores kaitiakitanga as it relates to Māori agrifood practices.
- Earth & Space Science:
- The magic of fireworks https://read.activelylearn.com/#teacher/reader/authoring/preview/2553099/notes
- RSC resources on teaching reaction rates (education arm free to join) https://edu.rsc.org/cpd/teaching-rates-of-reaction-post-16/4013857.article
- Primary & intermediate:
- Science Learning Hub Building Science Concepts article & interactive – shadows L1-2. https://www.sciencelearn.org.nz/resources/2791-building-science-concepts-shadows
- Nature of Science:
- Siouxsie Wiles article on how to spot COVID-19 misinformation
- Science of COVID:
- How COVID-19 vaccines were made so quickly without cutting corners https://www.sciencenews.org/article/covid-coronavirus-vaccine-development-speed
- Lightning lectures from UK’s Royal Society summarising some of the big questions in science by the researchers tackling them, in an easy-to-access YouTube playlist.
- Next accord days (PLD for NCEA changes): 3 Aug Northland, Taranaki, Whanganui, Manawatū; 5 Aug Wgtn, Otago, Southland; 10 Aug Ak, Canterbury; 11 Aug Nelson, Marl-borough, W Coast, BoP, Rotorua, Taupō; 12 Aug Waikato, Hawke’s Bay, Gisborne.
- In the sciences the newer L1 Bio/Ch, ESS/Px & AgHort stds will be piloted in 2022 as well as L1 Science again. Info here. Schools who want to trial these stds with their L1 students are invited to submit expressions of interest from 2 -22 Aug. More info available end of July.
- ChemEd/BioLive registrations and call for abstracts are now live on the website. https://chemedbiolive.org/
Mike’s News is brought to you with the generous support of Warp Computers