|6-12 Sep||Tongan Language week www.mpia.govt.nz|
|7 Sep||Deadline to apply for Science Teaching Leadership Program|
|7-13 Sep||Keep NZ Beautiful Week (= Clean Up Wk) www.knzb.org.nz/|
|8 Sep||International Literacy day https://en.unesco.org/themes/literacy-all|
|9 Sep||NZASE online forum 3:30-4:30 pm for teachers of years 1-8. Register here|
|11 Sep||Deadline for students to apply for chem Olympiad. More info here.|
|14-18 Sep||New Primary science week. Science of sound. Ideas here. Unit here.|
|14-21 Sep||Maori Language week www.tetaurawhiri.govt.nz|
|15 Sep||NZASE online forum 3:30-4:30 pm for teachers of years 7-10. Register here|
|16 Sep||International Day to Preserve O3 www.uneptie.org/ozonaction/events/ozoneday|
|18 Sep||Deadline for shirt design celebrating women in science|
|20-26 Sep||Chinese language week|
|Moon||3Q 10 Sep NM 17 Sep 1Q 24 Sep FM 2 Oct|
- Whau River Catchment Trust (Ak) have another biodiversity survey event on Sat 12 Sep. If you would like to help out please contact email@example.com
- Resources for Māori language week 14-21 Sep:
- Say it grids https://www.akopanuku.tki.org.nz/assets/ResourceFiles/korerotia.pdf
- Quality Teaching Practice templates for teachers / leaders showing actions we can take to honour Te Tiriti o Waitangi.
- Wall borders https://www.eenymeeny.co.nz/wall-border-nz-maori-pkt-7.html
- Printable posters https://www.tewikiotereomaori.co.nz/rauemi
- Professional reading/watching:
- Student competitions:
- Enter a 3-minute video that shows Antarctica from a new perspective by 5pm 2 Oct. https://www.royalsociety.org.nz/assets/Antartica-through-fresh-eyes-video-competition-rules-1.pdf
- There is no cost to register students for this year’s NZ Chemistry Olympiad exam – deadline 11 Sep. The 1-hour exam will be done thru’ Education Perfect (17-24 Sep).
- Some literacy tools from Kyle Larson https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ELWCYbL06BfUk3pW-s9nJUZHMNbhWAmO/view
- Learning Scientists’ video on how to study effectively based on active learning.
- Schol Chem practice day for students is at Ak Uni Sat 26 Sep. $40 entry fee is paid on the day but please register interest by Fri 18thSep if possible. Flyer: https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Schol-Practice-Day-Auckland-2020-notice.pdf
- Digital support
In Dec & Jan EcoQuest will run programs providing senior students with practical ecology & conservation experiences. Each 4-day course gives students a chance to experience real time practical research while providing a taste of uni. EcoQuest is alsoavailable for school trips. They are happy to collaborate with teachers to deliver material catered to ach stds.
- Zealandia eco-sanctuary in Wgtn is reviewing what they provide & how they engage, with secondary schools. They are seeking input from teachers. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Draft marine science text AS & A level). Good ideas for such a course. [Michal Denny]
- Alison Campbell’s webinar 4 schol Bio teachers & students as Ak workshop cancelled https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kjBXOtCHZwqF1IO3nCcHmDrjPeM_F2xz/view
- Agricultural and Horticultural Science:
- A chemical compound infographic on the elements of fertilisers. https://cen.acs.org/food/agriculture/Periodic-Graphics-elements-fertilizers/98/i11
- Earth & Space Science
- Links to lots of resources for NZ Shakeout 15 Oct e.g. emergency plans, lesson plans.
- This activity explores the effect of mineral density in moving water (principle behind gold panning) https://www.earthlearningidea.com/PDF/69_Riches_in_the_river.pdf
- Separating mixtures by making and using scents.
- Tips to explaining electrolysis https://edu.rsc.org/ideas/5-ways-to-explain-electrolysis/4012108.article
- On Sep 28 Earth Project launches the Climate Action Project – a free6 week program where students explore, discuss, create & share their findings online – learn from peers globally. Teachers will be supported by facilitators. https://www.climate-action.info/about
- Primary & Intermediate
- Nature of Science
- Measuring the risk of airborne COVID-19. A good example of modelling. [Terry Fenn]
- Diagnostic activities to expose misconceptions about processes of the water cycle (free to join STEM) https://www.stem.org.uk/resources/collection/469032/water-cycle
- Schools and wharekura are invited to submit Expressions of Interest to take part in a mini-pilot in 2021, when the draft achievement standards and resources for science will be piloted in a small number of schools. Deadline is on 22 Sep.
Professional Learning & Development (PLD) Opportunities
- Auckland’s Sustainable schools PLD:
- Using school compost, online 16 Sep, 3:30-4:30 Swift@aucklandcouncil.govt.nz
Kia tūpato, kia haumaru te noho ā me tiaki tētahi i tētahi
Take care, stay safe and look after each other