|14 Jun||World Blood Donor Day www.nzblood.co.nz|
|14 Jun||Matariki 1st appears at dawn https://www.rasnz.org.nz/news-item/matariki-finder-2021|
|14-18 Jun||Gaming! Online events for Yr 7-9 students & their teachers https://getintogaming.nz/|
|15 Jun||Global Wind Day www.windenergy.org.nz/resources/for-teachers|
|16 Jun||Deadline for survey on ERO evaluating PLD|
|17 Jun||Science Learning Hub PLD, Science through picture books, 4 pm.|
|19 Jun||World Albatross Day Link to RNZ|
|21 Jun||Winter solstice NZ http://www.rasnz.org.nz/in-the-sky/sun-rise-and-set|
|21 Jun||MWC free PLD on COVID-19 at Wakatipu High School, Queenstown|
|21 Jun||Cafe Scientifique Tauranga, Matariki, Mātauranga Māori & Modern Science, 7 pm.|
|21 Jun||Deadline to apply to virtually attend the London International Youth Science Forum.|
|25-27 Jun||40hr Famine weekend www.famine.org.nz|
|26Jun-4Jul||NZ Garden Bird Survey https://gardenbirdsurvey.landcareresearch.co.nz/|
|Moon||1Q 18 Jun FM 25 Jun 3Q 2 Jul NM 10 Jul|
- Matariki resources & events:
- Science Learning Hub article [House of Science Newsletter]
- Dr Rangi Matamua & CoreEd co-host a FREE online seminar, Matariki Te Whetū o te Tau on Tues 29 June, 6:00-7:30 pm. To register go to the Facebook page and hit ‘going’.
- MOTAT celebrates Matariki with Night Lights Fri 25-Sun 27 June, 6-9pm. See the light installations & local artist’s work, with live performances and kai from local food trucks.
- Garden Bird Survey 26 Jun – 4 Jul https://gardenbirdsurvey.landcareresearch.co.nz/
- Culturally Responsive & Relational Pedagogy:
- Mātauranga Māori:
- Impact projects and integrated curriculum in a school with a traditional timetable http://blog.core-ed.org/blog/2021/04/impact-project-integrating-the-curriculum.html
- Planning to adress misconceptions in your teaching (join for free to access). https://edu.rsc.org/feature/are-misconceptions-on-your-radaar/4013535.article
- Five-column definition activity on vocab used when learning about the seasons: https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Defn-5-col-Seasons.doc
- Student opportunity:
- Supporters of Tiritiri Conservation Award. Nominate a student who is an eco-champion, has embraced the kaitiakitanga role in their primary school and inspired others. Deadline 1 Nov tiritirimatangi.org.nz/tiritiri-primary-school-conservation-award
- Students 15-17 years old can apply for Auckland Zoo’s popular Tuatara Club Junior Volunteer Programme. Applications close June 22.
- To use an animal in our teaching, ethics approval is required. This process is easy for both teachers and students: https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Animal-Ethics-Approval.pdf Committee meets 28 June and 23 August.
- Activity to demonstrate natural selection. http://www.nabt.org/sub/htdi/v62n01p042.asp
- View human cells: press small bit of cellotape to the back of their hand, student removes, makes a wet mount cell-side up. Slowly draws methylene blue under coverslip. View. [Pru Casey]
- Earth & Space Science:
- NASA lesson on making CO2 https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/making_o2_and_co2.pdf
- A playlist for Thermochemistry curated by Monique Goodson https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIbJ44pNYJxvRZZP-FmRpuhZUasoutbWx
- Yachting NZ has a new schools programme, Kōkōkaha Powered by the Wind, exploring the physics of sailing.
- Optical instruments https://read.activelylearn.com/#teacher/reader/authoring/preview/746761/notes
- STEM (science, technology, engineering, maths):
- Classroom resources from Cosmos https://education.australiascience.tv/cosmos-magazine-resources/
- STEM packs from Australian Science https://education.australiascience.tv/stem-packs
- Kohia Centre sells practice assessments for NCEA Maths externals (including MCAT). More info here. Please forward to your maths colleagues.
- During terms 2 & 3 MoW is running a webinar series to help teachers better understand the PLD priorities and educational change and to support PLD proposals from schools or kura. More info https://pld.education.govt.nz/news/webinars-pld-priorities
Can you help?
- Auckland Museum wants to understand how to best to develop new Natural Sciences galleries to suit our needs. They want to talk with groups of teachers ECE – yr 13 for 2h in the Museum in June. If you are interested in taking part, please take this 2-minute survey.
Professional Learning & Development (PLD) Opportunities
- ESSENZ is running PLD 25 June at New Plymouth BHS, 2 July at Antarctic centre, Chch & 8 Jul at SHGC, Hamilton. Register at email@example.com Workshops are free & financial assistance is available for those who are rural, isolated, or new to ESS.
Mike’s News is brought to you with the generous support of Warp Computers