|27Sep-3Oct||Tuvalu Language week www.mpia.govt.nz|
|28Sep1928||Fleming discovers penicillin. https://www.famousscientists.org/alexander-fleming/|
|1-31 Oct||Health Literacy month www.healthliteracymonth.org/|
|1-31 Oct||Save Kiwi month www.kiwisforkiwi.org/save-kiwi-week/schools|
|1-31 Oct||Breast Cancer Awareness month www.nzbcf.org.nz (Pink Ribbon)|
|2 Oct||Deadline for Antarctica through fresh eyes video competition|
|4-10 Oct||Fiji language week www.mpia.govt.nz|
|4-10 Oct||World Space week www.worldspaceweek.org/|
|5/30 Oct*||World/NZ Teachers day www.worldteachersday.org|
|5 Oct||World Habitat Day https://www.un.org/en/events/habitatday/|
|7-8 Oct||ULearn online conference https://core-ed.org/events/ulearn|
|8 Oct||World Sight Day (2nd Th Oct*) http://www.iapb.org/advocacy/world-sight-day|
|9 Oct||Deadline to enter for PM’s science prizes https://www.pmscienceprizes.org.nz/|
|9 Oct||Deadline to apply for centrally funded PLD. Info here.|
|11-17 Oct||Niue language week www.mpia.govt.nz|
|11-17 Oct||Earth Sciences Week (USA) http://www.earthsciweek.org/about-esw|
|Moon||FM 2 Oct 3Q 10 Oct NM 17 Oct 1Q 24 Oct|
- Culturally Responsive & Relational Pedagogy:
- Māori use of plants https://www.otago.ac.nz/marine-studies/resources/download/otago062823.pdf
- This article about naming rights adds to our kete of mātauranga Māori https://www.aucklandmuseum.com/discover/stories/blog/2020/naming-rights
- A poster for the 5E’s model of teaching https://www.pinterest.nz/pin/107734616073890623/
- Auckland’s Whau River Catchment Trust is recruiting new board members. They are looking for applicants passionate about providing quality green space for our community and about native wildlife. They need a board with skills in lots of areas – IT, education, not for profit governance, financial management, cultural & environmental understanding & fund raising.
- This is the best time to view Mars for 15 years. On Oct 13 Mars will be very close to us, as it lines up with the Sun & Earth, so surface features will be more visible in a small telescope. Mars is bright red, rises in the east late evening & will get brighter over the next 2 weeks.
- Earth & Space Science
- This ELI activity asks students to model sedimentary structures. https://www.earthlearningidea.com/PDF/341_Make_sed_structures.pdf
- Liverpool uni geology resources https://geohubliverpool.org.uk
- The different ways we study the sun
- The secrets of spider silk and uses of a synthetic spider silk.
- A series of lessons investigating different types of concrete with a video of industrial testing of concrete. https://www.stem.org.uk/resources/elibrary/resource/28262/key-stage-three-watching-cement-set
- Using games and molymods to help understand the carbon cycle https://www.stem.org.uk/elibrary/resource/33208
- A machine (made from duct tape, kebab sticks and jelly babies) to demo waves https://www.stem.org.uk/resources/elibrary/resource/27031/wave-machine
- Podcast: does thick layer of bubbles keep water hot for longer? (join STEM UK for free)
- A set of 10 posters on Maths Skills in Science. £24 https://www.teachitscience.co.uk/shop/maths-skills-in-science-posters
- A series of short videos exploring the wonderful world of worms! Worm farms are a great way for students to take action to reduce the amount of organic waste going to landfill. T
- Climate Action has a curriculum and lesson plans for teaching about climate change. Sign in here. https://www.climate-action.info/user
- Primary & Intermediate
- An activity making edible rocks to model the 3 types of rocks.
- Goal setting for years 1-6: http://www.karentuiboyes.com/2018/03/goal-setting-in-the-primary-years/
- Nature of Science
- This academic article gives some handy tips for debunking myths effectively https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1529100612451018
- How to read & comprehend scientific research articles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2K6mJkSWoA
- Ideas for a practical-based curriculum (free to join) https://www.teachitscience.co.uk/teaching-and-learning/20-ideas-for-planning-a-progressive-practical-curriculum
- The new PLD website is now up and running in English and te reo Māori. The term “locally-focused PLD” has been replaced with “regionally-allocated PLD”. Go here to apply for PLD by 9 Oct for 2021 and to find information.
Professional Learning and Development
- Auckland ESS workshop 20 Nov, flyer: https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/ESS-Auckland-PLD-Nov-2020.docx Student teachers please note there may be funding from the NZESSE for student-teachers to attend.
- Alison Campbell is organising an online hui for Schol Bio teachers in the hols. Contribute to the doodle poll to find a date/time. https://doodle.com/poll/ckr8zz2u34t7gpcy
- BEANZ is offering a workshop on the draft standards Nov 23: https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/2020-BEANZ-Workshop-Auckland.docx