|13-17 May||Bullying free week https://www.bullyingfree.nz/bullying-free-new-zealand-week/|
|13-17 May||Primary Science Week Term 2 week 3 http://nzapse.nzase.org.nz/|
|16 May||International Support Staff day|
|16 May||RS Matariki talk, 6pm, Millenium Hotel, 1270 Hinemaru St, Rotorua|
|16 May||Centrally Funded PLD Proposals due Hawke’s Bay|
|17 May||Pink Shirt Day (bullying) www.pinkshirtday.org.nz/|
|17 May||sCentrally Funded PLD Proposal due Auckland, BoP, Waikato|
|18 May||Fascination of Plant Day www.plantday12.eu|
|20 May||World Metrology Day|
|22 May||International Biodiversity Day www.doc.govt.nz|
|23 May||RS Matariki talk, 6pm, Southwell School, 200 Peachgrove Rd, Hamilton|
|24 May||RS Matariki talk, 6pm, 81 Truman Lane, Tauranga|
|24 May||Deadline to email t-shirt designs to Royal Society comp.|
|25 May||RS Matariki talk, 5pm, Raumanga Campus, 51 Raumanga Va Rd, Whangarei|
|25 May||Centrally Funded PLD Proposals due Tai Tokerau|
|26May-1Jun||Samoan language week www.mpia.govt.nz|
|Moon||FM May 19 3Q May 27. NM Jun 3. 1Q Jun 10|
- How drawing can help us remember https://www.edutopia.org/article/science-drawing-and-memory
- How can we include citizen science in our teaching program? Science Learning Hub’s article Planning for students to be citizen scientists provides pedagogical advice to get you started. It shows 2 NZ teachers’ experiences of how citizen science added breadth to student learning. It also features a growing list of online citizen science projects, with wrap-around resources including curriculum information and related articles and activities.
- An ELI activity on graded sedimentary beds explores the origin of sediments and the interpretation of past environments. https://www.earthlearningidea.com/PDF/177_Graded_bedding.pdf
- The GLOBE Observer website Mosquito Habitat Mapper page provides materials on mosquito prevention and control, e.g. a guide to retrieving precipitation data, an educational activity, and lists of resources to learn more about properly identifying and eliminating potential mosquito breeding sites.
- Fossils suggest a new hominid has been found in the Philippines https://www.sciencenews.org/article/new-hominid-species-homo-luzonensis-philippines?utm_source=Editors_Picks&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=editorspicks041419
- The results of NASA’s twin study on the effect of spaceflight on astronaut health. https://www.sciencenews.org/article/nasa-twins-study-reveals-effects-space-scott-kelly-health?utm_source=Editors_Picks&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=editorspicks041419
- Proteins from the longhorn beetle, an insect adapted to life at -40oC, could help us develop better plane de-icers and better organ storage as well as improve antifreeze. https://cosmosmagazine.com/the-future/next-gen-anti-freeze-could-be-made-of-beetle-juice
- Eat chocolate in the name of science. https://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/education/students/highschool/chemistryclubs/activities/chocolate-science.html
- A tool for drawing circuit diagrams http://www.cleo.net.uk/consultants_resources/science/circuitWorld/circuitworld.html
- An animation showing speed of light from Peter Weekes at JCHS: https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/speed-of-light-moon-1.mp4
Professional Learning & Development (PLD) Opportunities
- PLD from Learning Network NZ ph 09 835 0912:
- Creating More Resilient Students – Nathan Wallis gives us strategies for helping anxious & avoidant students and Andrew Fuller discusses the science of differentiation with a focus on learning strengths. 28 Jun Chch – book here. 29 Jun Ak – book here.
- Complex Behaviours – Simple Interventions – Kathryn Berkett and Pio Terei Rotorua / Hawkes Bay
- The Geological Society of America (GSA) offers K-12 PD opportunities through its GeoTeachers Program with resources and programming to support K-12 teachers and other educators. Look for events at the September 2019 GSA Annual Meeting and GSA Section Meetings throughout the year. To stay up to date, check out the GeoTeachers Blog.
- Flier for Waikato BEANZ workshop: https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/BEANZ-Waikato-1.docx
- Some 2019 NZIP conference presentations will be available via the NZIP website “soon”.
- CoreEd is running a webinar that may be of interest to chemists. Interdisciplinary product design, materials technology, and applied chemistry runs Wed 15 May 3:45-4:45pm. Julie Clement (HOD Technology) and Paul Holmes (Assistant HOD Science / Chemistry) from Wellington Girls College talk about a programme of learning they have developed together that integrates materials technology and applied chemistry. Register here.
- Safety in School Labs course for Lab Managers, Science HODs, Teachers & Technicians to learn more about developing a culture of safety and meeting the requirements of the new Health & Safety Regs. 9-3:30 Tues 11 Jun Taikura Rudolf Steiner School, Hastings: https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Safety-in-School-Labs-course-190611-1.pdf