Dates to Note
- Already mentioned:
Feb 28 The Science of Learning – online PLD (3h weekly) starts & continues for 5 weeks Mar 1-31 Melanoma March Mar 2-10 Sea week Mar 3 World wildlife Day Mar 3-9 Hearing Awareness Week Mar 4 Teacher Council’s Tapasā PLD workshop South Auckland 3:30 – 5:45pm. Book here. Mar 11 Teacher Council’s Tapasā PLD workshop North Auckland 3:30 – 5:45pm. Book here. Mar11-17 International Brain Awareness Week www.neurological.org.nz Moon 3Q Feb. 27 NM Mar 7 1Q Mar 14 FM Mar 21.
- The Auckland Astronomical Society is holding a Dark Sky weekend Fri 5 – Sun 7 April at Waharau Regional Park, 1748 East Coast Road, Orere Point, Whakatiwai. Includes practical astronomy & dark sky observing. There’ll be plenty of telescopes to look through, but bring yours if you have one. $40 non-member if paid by 15 March, includes bunk accommodation. To book please contact Gavin Logan at firstname.lastname@example.org or 021 144 1055.
- Culturally Responsive & Relational Pedagogy:
- Addressing Persistent Defiance has some good positive ideas.
- Icebreakers that don’t suck https://www.cultofpedagogy.com/classroom-icebreakers/
- An interesting article on culturally responsive and relational leadership by Kathryn O’Connell-Sutherland
- Student competitions:
- MOTAT runs three afterschool clubs, 4-5pm on Digital Games, Coding and Robotics. More info at https://www.motat.org.nz/learn/after-school-programmes/
- A reminder that NZASE subscriptions are now due. https://nzase.org.nz/membership/
- ELI activity to demonstrate how fold mountains like the Himalayas can form. https://www.earthlearningidea.com/PDF/Himalayas_in_30_seconds_final_071029.pdf
- The U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration promotes education about oceanic & atmospheric science. On NOAA Education Resourcessite you’ll find teaching tools and materials on oceans and coasts, climate, weather and atmosphere, marine life, freshwater, and other special topics.
- The Connected article Bringing back the Birdsong can be used to help students explore the Predator Free 2050 vision and develop their understanding of Ecosystems. Teachers Support material and Google slides here.
- The latest BEANZ newsletter is available online http://beanz.org.nz/beanz-newsletter-term-1-2019/
- The Soil Science Society of America supports geoscience teaching and learning about soils. They provide online educational resources tailored to both teachers& students, including lessons, activities, fun facts, sites of interest organized by soil topic and grade level, and soil definitions for the novice soil scientist.
- Info on summer night sky is attached. Next week, info on free astro conf for students.SUMMER Night Sky
- Science Learning Hub has a new collections tool to store related resources. They are sharing some of their collections – this one is on the Periodic Table.
- Chem Cmpd infographic on the history and theories of the atom. https://www.compoundchem.com/2016/10/13/atomicmodels/
- Activities to help students learn about Newton’s Laws on Motion http://www.titlemax.com/resources/newtons-laws-of-motion-and-car-physics/
- Some ideas on simple machines with a vocab matching list and a research task.
- AGI’s Critical Issues website provides useful information on current issues. Much of it is USA-focused but this looks useful: Present Day Climate Changeinformation and accompanying factsheet.
Can You Help?
Sarah Parker is looking for help with resources for S1.10 using a digestive and respiratory systems context for less able students. SParker@lynfield.school.nz
Professional Learning & Development (PLD) Opportunities
- PLD for Auckland teachers from Learning Network NZ ph 09 835 0912
- Next deadlines for proposals for Centrally Funded PLD are now available for Tai Tokerau region: 25 May, 17 Aug, 26 Oct. Deadlines for other regions sent with Jan 30 Mike’s news.
- Sabina Cleary & Carmen Kenton of Kaha Education are providing courses on Safety in School Laboratories in Auckland. Cheaper for NZASE members. Info attached:Safety in School Laboratories 1Day course 19 March 2019 Safety in School Laboratories HalfDay course 20 March 2019
- Half day course for principal/DP/BoT/property managers on 20 March
- Full day course for science HoDs, Lab Techs, Lab managers & Teachers on 19 March
- Sabina Cleary & Carmen Kenton of Kaha Education are running a series of regional workshops for teachers of years 1 – 10 science free for NZASE members. Info attached.NZASE Science Workshop Auckland 22 March 2019 NZASE Science Network of Expertise 2019
- Waveney Bryant & I have prepared a workshop for teachers of years 1-8 science to be run at Kohia teachers centre. This workshop will have a cost. Info attached.Primary Science 190313 flyer