|1-31 Oct||Health Literacy month www.healthliteracymonth.org/|
|1-31 Oct||Save Kiwi month www.kiwisforkiwi.org/save-kiwi-week/schools|
|1-31 Oct||Breast Cancer Awareness month www.nzbcf.org.nz (Pink Ribbon)|
|5 Oct||World Habitat Day https://www.un.org/en/events/habitatday/|
|7-8 Oct||ULearn online conference https://core-ed.org/events/ulearn|
|8 Oct||World Sight Day (2nd Th Oct*) http://www.iapb.org/advocacy/world-sight-day|
|9 Oct||Deadline to enter for PM’s science prizes https://www.pmscienceprizes.org.nz/|
|9 Oct||Deadline to apply for centrally funded PLD. Info here.|
|11-17 Oct||Niue language week www.mpia.govt.nz|
|11-17 Oct||Earth Sciences Week (USA) http://www.earthsciweek.org/about-esw|
|13 Oct||Ada Lovelace day, women in STEM http://findingada.com/|
|14 Oct||NZASE online forum 3:30-4:30 pm for teachers of years 1-8. Register here|
|15 Oct||9:30 am NZ ShakeOut, (EQ drill & tsunami evacuation)|
|16 Oct||World Food Day www.fao.org/wfd/|
|Moon||3Q 10 Oct NM 17 Oct 1Q 24 Oct FM 1 Nov|
- A wallchart for Niue language week: https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Common-phrases-Niuean.docx
- Culturally Responsive & Relational Pedagogy:
- Bio, chem & physics resources for teaching the pūtaiao curriculum within Te Marautanga o Aotearoa. https://eng.keitemohiokoe.tki.org.nz/
- Science units in a te ao Māori context https://tereomaori.tki.org.nz/Reo-Maori-resources/Te-Hiringa-i-te-Mahara-resource-archive/Science
- A reading about metacognition, particularly as regards problem-solving. http://www.karentuiboyes.com/2020/07/metacognition-thinking-about-your-thinking/
- Science Careers
- A women in STEM website set up by 2 students http://www.womeninstem.co.nz/
- Eyeball challenge – looks at the structure and function of different animals’ eyes. https://education.abc.net.au/home#!/resources/eyeball/science/5/interactive
- Culling dingoes with poison may be making them bigger [Alison Campbell] https://www.sciencenews.org/article/dingo-poison-pesticides-size-culling-australia
- Scientists have attached satellite tracking tags to six southern right whales or tohorā – follow their journeys online. This newsletter from the Miranda Shorebird centre has information on the tracked return of migrating godwits this season.
- Earth & Space Science
- Visualizing Earth Systems with respect to minerals, water, energy, climate, hazards. http://www.earthsciweek.org/visualizations
- From 2020 – 2030, spacecraft will launch into the solar system to explore the Moon, Europa, Titan, and 7 asteroids. The 2020-2021 Cosmic Explorations Speaker Series features scientific leaders of these exciting missions, each describing how their mission will contribute to our growing, ever-changing knowledge of the solar system.
- The Geological Society of London (GSL) offers 2 online resources. Electronic map-based resources are the focus of GSL’s Plate Tectonics page. In addition, a site recently has been launched to accompany GSL’s Rock Cycle online module.
- The Alchemy of Us by Ainissa Ramirez tells the stories of new materials, the innovations they made possible, and how these technologies changed us.
- Using a bike as a centrifuge https://www.science-sparks.com/bicycle-centrifuge
- The Chemistry in your Cupboard series describes the chemistry that underlies well-known household products. E.g. Gaviscon https://edu.rsc.org/download?ac=10992
- Data classroom activity comparing motion of car on horizontal & inclined planes https://about.dataclassroom.com/blog/car-and-ramp-labs
- In this activity, students use a Mexican wave to demonstrate how waves transfer energy and to visualise the wave behaviours of reflection, constructive interference and shoaling.
- These science resources look interesting from Teachers Pay Teachers https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/The-Trendy-Science-Teacher
- Australian Science Best Of video resources for teaching science https://education.australiascience.tv/best-of-STEM
- Years 1-8
- Shorebirds of Pukorokoro Miranda is a resource with background material, guides & suggested activities for teachers planning a visit. More info on yr 0-8 programmes.
- Science Learning Hub ideas for using those Countdown insect cards https://www.sciencelearn.org.nz/resources/2953-super-insects
Professional Learning & Development (PLD) Opportunities
- Science Learning Hub – free online PLD webinar