|20jun-15Jul||Matariki Festival www.matarikifestival.org.nz/|
|11 Jul||World Population Day www.stats.govt.nz , Schools Corner|
|16-17 Jul||ASCD conference http://www.ascd.org/virtual-conference-respond-reimagine-restart.aspx|
|17-19 Jul||Spectrum Ed free online summit|
|20 Jul||Nominations for kudos award close|
|21 Jul 1969||1st moon walk www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/apollo11_40th.html#.UtmgLOuBr-k|
|Moon||3Q 13 Jul. NM 21 Jul 1Q 28 Jul FM 4 Aug|
- Culturally Responsive & Relational Pedagogy:
- ESSE is developing resources in cultural contexts. This L2 task focusses on Te whakaterenga a te iwi Poronihia me te iwi Māori, Polynesian and Māori navigation & can be used for 90954 and/or 90955. Navigating by the Sun.
- Article from Kiwi Conservation club about the meaning of Matariki https://kcc.org.nz/te-iwa-o-matariki-the-nine-stars-of-matariki-promotion
- Article asking us to think about how we use praise. https://www.kiddiematters.com/stop-praising-kids-and-do-this-instead/
- Bringing student choice to assessment in science classrooms https://www.edutopia.org/article/bringing-student-choice-assessment-science-classes
- Professional reading/watching:
- STEM UK’s magazine Catalyst is free to download https://catalyst-magazine.org/. The 3 key resources have accompanying learning Notes.
- Strategies to improve students’ reading comprehension https://edu.rsc.org/feature/quick-wins-to-promote-comprehension/3010388.article
- Digital support
- Boosting student interaction & collaboration https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYbEnhCgq20&utm_source=ascdexpress&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=1520-restart
- Using onscreen simulations to improve data skills https://edu.rsc.org/how-i-teach/use-on-screen-simulations-to-successfully-boost-data-skills/4011935.article
- Alison Campbell will be back for a Schol Bio Prep Day 2020 at Sancta Maria College, 319 Te Irirangi Dr, Ak, Sat 22 Aug, 10am -3pm approx. All students and teachers welcome. No charge. If interested please email Shane the school name & students’ names.
- The deadline for the survey on the L1 subject list has been extended to 10 August for Science. More details on the options: https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Options-for-NCEA-Level-1-Science.pdf
- PhET simulation on Natural Selection https://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulation/legacy/natural-selection
- A desert food web activity https://www.exploringnature.org/db/view/1317
- Agricultural and Horticultural Science:
- Plenty of resources on soil here – scroll down https://www.sciencelearn.org.nz/resources/881-soil-scientists-at-work
- Watch 3 farmers show & discuss the benefits & successes of regenerative agriculture & farming systems – biology-first practices that support plants, microbes, pollinators, … Episodes 1-6: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq-OR8Tui2sLKMzcFWMP3uQ
- Earth & Space Science
- ESO telescope sees signs of planet birth https://www.eso.org/public/news/eso2008/.
- NASA Mapping Our World Interactive– The interactive visualization and poster allow students to explore data sets from over a dozen NASA Earth science missions.
- Article about formation of sea ice & its effect on ecosystems & climate. Activity on how different types of water freeze https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/blogs/eokids/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2020/03/25_Sea-Ice_508.pdf
- This video explains how to use the combination of NMR, IR and MS to identify the structure of an unknown molecule. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noHBCA4V5kM
- How evaporation causes cooling: https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/How-Evaporation-Causes-Cooling.docx
- A TEDEd video about the physics of a human voice https://ed.ted.com/lessons/what-s-a-squillo-and-why-do-opera-singers-need-it-ming-luke
- An overview of the energy resources that are used to make electricity & heat or used in transportation https://switchon.org/
- TEDEd video on how our diet affects our gut https://ed.ted.com/lessons/how-the-food-you-eat-affects-your-gut-shilpa-ravella
- An indoor and an outdoor rocket students can make https://pstt.org.uk/application/files/4915/9238/0642/Science_Fun_at_Home_13_Rocket_Science.pdf
- Incorporate science into your literary program (from Sandy Jackson, Kings School) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I_Nh-t8vl7F44DngGrEjimbHJ8k6EyPr/view
Professional Learning & Development (PLD) Opportunities
- Online PLD on being a leader of learning with Gavin Grift. Four 2h sessions 3:15-5:15 17,18 Aug & 14,15 Sep. $295. https://www.learningnetwork.ac.nz/events/teacher-leadership-2-day-training-for-in-school-and-across-school-leaders/
- ASCD archived webinar & handouts on Place-Based Learning. http://www.ascd.org/professional-development/webinars/power-of-place-webinar.aspx