|14 Mar||Pi Day https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/edu/nasapidaychallenge|
|15-21 Mar||Brain Awareness Week www.neurological.org.nz|
|19Mar-17 Apr||EcoFest West (Ak) celebrates caring for our env. www.ecofest.org.nz|
|19-20 Mar||Pasifika Festival (Auckland)|
|21 Mar||Autumnal Equinox NZ http://www.rasnz.org.nz/in-the-sky/sun-rise-and-set|
|21 Mar||World Forestry Day www.fitec.org.nz|
|21 Mar||World Down Syndrome Day Info here.|
|22 Mar||World Water Day www.emap.rsnz.org http://www.worldwaterday.org/|
|23 Mar||World Meteorological Day www.metservice.co.nz 🡪 Learning Centre|
|23 Mar||World Maths Day https://www.3plearning.com/world-maths-day/|
|23-26 Mar||Ak ASB Polyfest, online www.asbpolyfest.co.nz|
|24 Mar||World Tuberculosis day www.stoptb.org|
|27 Mar||Earth hour 8:30 – 9:30 pm www.wwf.org.nz www.earthhour.org.nz|
|Moon||FM Mar 18 3Q Mar 25 NM Apr 1Q Apr 9|
- NASA on Pi Day https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/edu/events/2022/2/2/celebrate-pi-day-with-nasa
- MOTAT (Auckland) is having a LIVE day on Gardening 20 March. Includes using traditional Māori agricultural tools reimagined with today’s technologies, making seed bombs and bird seed feeders. https://www.motat.nz/events/live-day-gardening
- Cafe Scientifique on Veganism, Organics & Climate change Mon 21 March 7-9pm, Tauranga Yacht & Power Boat Club 90 Keith Allen Dr. Register here.
- Primary science week,16-20 May (week 3 of term 2), has the theme That’s so Cool – Antarctic Science. NZAPSE is developing activities and resources with NIWA scientists & Antarctica NZ and the Science Learning Hub will run a seminar. Keep an eye out.
- ConSTANZ, technicians’ conference is 11 – 13 Oct: https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/ConSTANZ22-Info.pdf
- Attached is a calendar of events of interest to science teachers: https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Dates-for-2022.doc
- Culturally Responsive & Relational Pedagogy:
- Mātauranga Māori
- A provocative article on the misrepresentation of Māori concepts https://nzareblog.wordpress.com/2021/10/13/zombification/
- Ako Panuku’s group for those interested in promoting science through a Māori world view – te Kahui kaiako Pūtaiao https://www.akopanuku.tki.org.nz/te-kahui-kaiako-putaiao
- Digital support:
- The next LEARNZ virtual field trip explores Climate Change. Videos, background material & online quizzes available from 28 Mar. Enroll in this trip to receive supporting communication and resources and connect with field trip experts live 6 & 7 Apr.
- Teacher Opportunities:
- The Sir Paul Callaghan Science Academy offers 4 days of PLD for primary & intermediate teachers in the holidays – Hamilton in July, Christchurch in October. Apply now. https://www.scienceacademy.co.nz/content/scienceAcademies.php
- An article about Lamarckian misconceptions
- In this excerpt from The Green Planet, David Attenborough gives a short lesson on seeds https://www.facebook.com/bbcearth/videos/1352851615128880
- Agricultural and Horticultural Science:
- A company that redesigns traditional Māori gardening tools https://www.paku.nz/
- Earth & Space Science:
- How do plant milks compare to cow’s milk? https://www.compoundchem.com/2022/01/11/plant-milk/
- A virtual chemistry activity about the mole https://www.chemedx.org/activity/mole-free-virtual-chemistry-lab-activity
- Primary & intermediate:
- NIWA’s annotated visual annual climate summary for 2021 and livestreamed.
- At the end of this Earth Learning Idea activity there is a list of all the ELI Net Zero activities. https://www.earthlearningidea.com/PDF/381_Net_zero_Tree_planting.pdf
Professional Learning & Development (PLD) Opportunities
- Regionally allocated PLD can help you implement the NCEA changes. E.g. 2 facilitators, 1 specializing in NCEA science and 1 in mātauranga Māori might work together to plan and facilitate your PLD. Apply here under the ‘Local curriculum design’ priority. [MoE newsletter]
- World Education Summit 21-24 March. £360+ https://www.worldedsummit.com/tickets/
- Conservation Education and Wellbeing Teacher PD day at Sanctuary Mountain, Fri 1 Apr, 10am-2pm. Free to teachers from Hamilton Schools. Register here
- Schools and kura can access up to 25 hours of PLD support to develop understanding, processes and resources to ensure learning continues on and offsite. Request support from your regional office’s PLD team. Read more here.
- Twinkl is looking for a contract content editor ($23/h). More info here. https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/2920888887
- STEM Wana organises STEM events for Bay of Plenty. They are looking for a Community Liaison/Coordinator for 30h/week at $25/h. Apply by 20 March
- Lincoln University is looking for someone to create teaching materials around microbes and horticulture. Up to 20 hours per week at $30/hour. Apply by 28 March. Info here.
Mike’s News is brought to you with the generous support of Warp Computers