|30 May-5jun||Samoan language week www.mpia.govt.nz|
|31 May||World Smoke-free Day www.worldsmokefreeday.org.nz|
|1 Jun||World milk day https://worldmilkday.org/|
|3 Jun||Education Hub webinar on using real-world problems from the local community, 3:30pm|
|5 Jun||World Environment Day www.4million.org.nz www.mfe.govt.nz|
|5 Jun||Arbor Day www.treesforsurvival.org|
|8 Jun||World Oceans day|
|9 Jun||National Support Staff www.nzei.org.nz|
|10Jun1886||Mt Tarawera erupts www.teara.govt.nz/en/historic-volcanic-activity/page-2|
|10 Jun||Annular solar eclipse (not visible from NZ)|
|14 Jun||World Blood Donor Day www.nzblood.co.nz|
|14 Jun||Matariki 1st appears at dawn https://www.rasnz.org.nz/news-item/matariki-finder-2021|
|14-18 Jun||Gaming! Online events for Yr 7-9 students & their teachers https://getintogaming.nz/|
|Moon||3Q 2 Jun NM 10 Jun 1Q 18 Jun FM 25 Jun|
- While Matariki rises 14 June, different iwi celebrate at different times. Matariki resources:
- Learning about Matariki https://www.twoa.ac.nz/hononga-stay-connected/te-iwa-o-matariki
- A detailed photo of Matariki https://www.instagram.com/p/CLaOQLAjLnX/
- World Ocean day link last week did not work. Apologies. Try the page for this UN day and some articles and primary activities that may be helpful.
- Remember to say thanks to your science technician on 9 Jun
- Cafe Scientifique Tauranga – Matariki, Mātauranga Māori and Modern Science, June 21, 2021 at 7:00 pm. Register soon because space is limited.
- Culturally Responsive & Relational Pedagogy:
- Online reo programme from Te Wānanga o Aotearoa: https://www.twoa.ac.nz/nga-akoranga-our-programmes/study-from-home/nz-certificate-in-te-reo
- Mātauranga Māori
- In 2013 MoE published a whole collection of te reo posters for pūtaiao/science. These are still available, at https://kupengahao.co.nz/nga-rauemi/ . Go to the contacts page and ask for what you want, give your school’s address and they will be sent free.
- Educational Leadership article on teaching boys http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/sept06/vol64/num01/Teaching-to-the-Minds-of-Boys.aspx
- Holly Swift’s posters explaining to students what is required for A, M, E in science
- A cluster on Gene Expression based on the words in the standard: https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Cluster-12Bi-Gene-expression.doc
- UK posters about science careers
- Register to access SCINEMA International Science Film Festival for free during August.
- A neuroscientist’s experience of a stroke gives an insight into brain function https://www.ted.com/talks/jill_bolte_taylor_my_stroke_of_insight
- NZH article on the breakthrough mRNA vaccines may provide for the flu.
- Agricultural and Horticultural Science:
- Nanoscale nutrients can protect plants from fungal disease https://home.howstuffworks.com/green-living/natural-weed-killers.htm
- Earth & Space Science:
- Video on the chemistry of Kevlar https://www.nsf.gov/news/mmg/mmg_disp.jsp?med_id=75416&from=
- A fair test showing the effect of salt on lowering freezing point.
- The second half of this free online course is about diagnostic imaging in medicine. https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/discovering-science-medicinal-chemistry
- Science News for Students article about using ocean waves as an energy source.
- Primary & intermediate:
- Students will explore the concept of refraction as they recreate the conditions that make rainbows appear. https://www.education.com/activity/article/make_rainbow_fourth/
- Group role cards, a free download from Teachers pay Teachers.
Professional Learning & Development (PLD) Opportunities
- STEM Learning (UK) has some free online PLD available on demand
- Primary Science Teaching Trust Zoom webinar with a science expert & shared resources. 4-5pm GMT (3-4am NZT): 9 Jun Natural History Museum
- CoreEd is running the Advanced Leadership programme for women educators across primary and secondary sectors. New cohort starts 29 Jun
- Science Learning Hub free online professional development webinar, Science through picture books, is on Thurs 17 June, 4:00–4:45 pm. Register here.
- Reminder for ESS teachers of the Ak uni PLD on 17 (GIS) & 18 Jun (using GIS tools to develop remote sensing resources). Can come for just 1 day. More info & booking form: https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/ESS-Auckland-day-June-2021.pdf
Mike’s News is brought to you with the generous support of Warp Computers