|1-31 Oct||Health Literacy month www.healthliteracymonth.org/|
|1-31 Oct||Save Kiwi month www.kiwisforkiwi.org/save-kiwi-week/schools|
|6-12 Oct||Fiji language week www.mpia.govt.nz|
|7 Oct||World Habitat Day https://www.un.org/en/events/habitatday/|
|7 Oct||Café Scientifique: NZ’s extinct frogs, the Arborist, 166 Willis St, Wgtn, 5:30 – 7 pm|
|8 Oct||Ada Lovelace day, women in STEM http://findingada.com/|
|9-11 Oct||U-Learn, Rotorua 9 – 11 Oct. $799 + GST (early-bird fee). Register here|
|10 Oct||World Sight Day http://www.iapb.org/advocacy/world-sight-day|
|10 Oct||Deadline to nominate a teacher or student for PM’s science prizes|
|10 Oct||Lisa Matisoo-Smith talk on DNA & human migration, 1 Fell St, Blenheim, 6-7:30 pm|
|11-12 Oct||Breast Cancer Awareness www.nzbcf.org.nz (Pink Ribbon)|
|13-19 Oct||Earth Sciences week (USA) http://www.earthsciweek.org/about-esw|
|13-19 Oct||Get Ready Week, marking the International Day for Natural Disaster Reduction|
|13-19 Oct||Niue language week www.mpia.govt.nz|
|16 Oct||World Food Day www.fao.org/wfd/|
|17 Oct||Free ESS Scholarship workshop, 9.15-2.30, House of Sci, 671 Cameron Rd Tauranga|
|18 Oct||Free ESS Scholarship workshop, 9:15-2:45, Kohia Centre, 78 Epsom Ave, Auckland|
|Moon||1Q Oct 6 FM Oct 14 3Q Oct 22 NM Oct 28|
- Language weeks:
- Some common phrases for Fijian Language week: https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Common-phrases-Fiji.docx
- And some for Niue Language Week: https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Common-phrases-Niuean.docx
- Dr Bill Fry, from GNS, is giving a series of lectures at 8 more centres around the country on our threat of tsunami from earthquakes originating in the Kermadec trench: https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Hochstetter-Lectures-by-Bill-Fry.docx
- Daphne Lee from Otago uni will speak on Foulden Maar at 7:30 pm Mon 7 Oct at New Plymouth Girls, Rm 6, Social Science block, (Mangorei Rd entrance, 1st bldg on RHS).
- Auckland zoo is giving teachers free entry for Oct. Terms and conditions
- Free family event at Ambury Farm Park Sun 20 Oct 10am-4pm. Activities include horse rides, cow milking, butter making & animal petting. This is a zero-waste event – if you arrive by bicycle, you will receive supervised parking and a free bike service.
- Gazette article on good practices for teaching writing in years 1-8. https://gazette.education.govt.nz/articles/novel-approaches-to-improving-writing-skills/
- Some ideas on critical thinking https://www.wabisabilearning.com/critical-thinking
- For America’s National Fossil Day Oct 16, the National Park Service offers awebsite full of educational resources and information.
- In the PhET simulation Gene Expression Essentials students generate and collect three types of protein, then move on to explore the factors that affect protein synthesis in a cell. https://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulation/gene-expression-essentials
- Elliot Attridge has been experimenting with teaching his L2 & L3 NCEA Bio students using various mtDNA sequences downloaded from the net & has written a blog post about it here: https://www.thecreativescienceteacher.net/?p=469
- Chemistry simulations from PhET – worth a look https://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulations/category/chemistry
- Chemistry of Ant venom and pheromones https://cen.acs.org/content/dam/cen/97/38/WEB/09738-antvenom.pdf
- Science Learning Hub has new resources for the topic sound waves: expts on speed of sound & on resonance; articles on resonance, standing waves, visualising sound waves, interference & Doppler effect/Sonic boom. All sound resources here
- Predator Free NZ is supporting more Predator Free schools in 2020 with teaching resources, support for a student investigation around predators & up to $500 towards traps, weta houses, lizard gardens, bird feeders etc. Applications close 20 Oct. https://predatorfreenz.org/toolkits/kids-schools-toolkit/predator-free-schools-2/
- Royal Society of Chem videos for primary https://edu.rsc.org/resources/changing-materials/913.article
- After consultation, the MoE will issue its National Education & Learning Priorities. These spell out the priorities for places of learning from ECE through to tertiary education to implement. Check out the draft and have your say in what these priorities should be. https://conversation.education.govt.nz/conversations/national-education-and-learning-priorities/
- Springs College is looking for a lab technician. They have a brand-new modern learning environment with purpose-built technician facilities. The position is largely autonomous within a team of hardworking, supportive science teachers, reporting to the HoD Science. Contact Kathryn Jenkin email@example.com for more info or to apply.
Professional Learning & Development (PLD) Opportunities
- West Ak House of Science is putting on some PLD for yrs 1-8 teachers. $40, 6-8pm, pizza & fruit, book with Amanda Fourie My Science Playroom, 406 Great North Rd, Henderson. Chemistry 23 Oct, Physics & Biology 30 Oct. Book here: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Asia NZ Foundation is offering up to 12 places to science & digital technology teachers from NZ for a PLD opportunity in China, 21-28 March 2020. Apply here before Wed 6 Nov.
- Mon 14 Oct at 3:30pm LEARNZ is hosting a free, 20-minute informal, online teacher PLD session about LEARNZ Term 4 field trips. All welcome. More PLD info and how to take part. Term 4 and other LEARNZ 2019 field trips are open. Enroll now – scroll down for details. All field trips, future and past, are on the Field Trip Chooser.
- Science Learning Hub presents a free PLD webinar addressing how Science Capabilities are being used in the science classroom, 31 Oct 4-4:45pm. Register here.
- CoreEd is running an online workshop on collaborative teaching – how to plan, assess and work together in a collaborative learning and teaching environment. 23 Oct 3:30-5pm. $99+GST per person. Register here with your collaborative colleagues.