|29 Jul||ESS workshop, 9.15 am – 3.15 pm. Otago Museum, 419 Great King St. Book here.|
|1 Aug||Engineering Futures Evening 6-8pm, Royal Society, 11 Turnbull St, Thorndon, Wgtn|
|4-10 Aug||Cook Islands Maori Language week www.mpia.govt.nz|
|5 Aug||Electronics workshop Dunedin 9-3:45. Book here.|
|5 Aug||Engineering Futures Evening 6-8pm, Ricoh Lounge, FMG Stadium, Frankton, Hamilton|
|6 Aug 1945||Hiroshima Day http://www.hiroshima-remembered.com/|
|6 Aug||ESS workshop, 9.30am-3.15pm, Taradale High School, 50 Murphy Rd. Register here.|
|6 Aug||Electronics workshop, 9-3:45, Electroflash offices, Blenheim Rd, Chch. Book here.|
|7 Aug||Electronics workshop, 9-3:45, Hamilton. Book here.|
|7 Aug||ESS workshop, 9.15 am – 3.15 pm, McLaren Room, Waikato University. Rm TT 1.12.|
|9 Aug||Electronics workshop 9-3:45, Wgtn. Book here.|
|9 Aug||ESS workshop, 9:15-3:15, Otumoetai College, 105 Windsor Rd, Tauranga. Register here.|
|10-18 Aug||Maths Week www.mathsweek.org.nz/|
|Moon||NM Aug 1 1Q Aug 8 FM Aug 16 3Q Aug 24|
- Te Papa resources for Cook Islands Language week next week:
- Te Papa’s Cook Islands language activity book https://www.tepapa.govt.nz/learn/for-educators/teaching-resources/cook-islands-language-week-resource
- Some phrases you and your students may like to try: https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Cook-Island-Maori-phrases-2p.docx
- Results of Biology Olympiad: https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/IBO-Hungary.docx
- The inaugural exec of Secondary Chemistry Educators of NZ, SCENZ, includes co-chairs Murray Thompson & Ian Torrie, secretary Suzanne Scourfield, & treasurer Ian Phillips. Resources will soon be uploaded & available free for members – assessment tasks for the new L2 titration ach std, L2 & L3 NZIC exams. Schol exams soon. https://nzic.org.nz/scenz
- The 2020 NZ Chemistry Olympiad training group selection exam will be sat on 19 Sep. Again, the exam will be done on-line through the portal of Education Perfect. Info attached: https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/NZCHO-training-group-letter.doc
- An ad has been placed online in the Education Gazette, seeking Expressions of Interest to both join Subject Expert Groups for the trial & pilot subjects in the NCEA review. Will be in print 5 Aug.
- To be considered for selection for the 2020 NZ Biology Olympiad team all students need to register at nzibo.org by 5 Aug, next Monday. More info www.nzibo.org or FaceBook
- NASA media library is searchable, publicly accessible and copyright free -140,000 images, sounds, and video. https://images.nasa.gov/
- 47 years of Sea temperature data could be used to identify el nino & la nina patterns: https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Sea-Temp-Data.pdf
- NASA’s Earth Wheel: Water in the Earth System– An resource where students explore & compare data from 4 satellite missions: Aquarius, GRACE, Terra, and TRMM.
- Disney Pixar’s Piper is an Oscar-winning Short Movie – a great wee video for students to point out biological “big ideas”: selection pressures or behaviours. Pru Warrington https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTjHEyEAlsc&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR0uPtX0inFAugLYXCjd4zFB1EN3bkbKG71ETAaE25LwEfjCT7ta7zihC3c
- In the engaging Periodic Videos university science professors record fires, explosions, and other visually interesting science experiments as a way to introduce and explain the properties of various chemical elements. http://www.periodicvideos.com/
- In the Rainbow Mechanic activity students place mirrors in a maze so that the sunlight reaches a prism. http://www.primarygames.com/puzzles/strategy/rainbowmechanic/
- New standard for L2 Ch titrations:
- SciPAD-sponsored roadshow explains rationale & mechanism for change, key changes to consider, teaching approaches for an acid-base titration & possible assessment tasks. Ak Tu 30July. Book asap at https://scipad.co.nz/science-talk-2019-chemistry-2-1.
- Scott Franklin has generously provided resources for 3 different redox titrations. Go tohttp://www.scholarshipchemistry.info, click on the C2.1 resource tab & register. Download resources pdfs using the code hendersonhasselbalch. Ian T, St Cuths
Want to Collaborate?
- Tim Kelly, HoF at Hurunui College, invites teachers to collaboratively develop the Possum-Free Project to create a teaching unit ready for 2020. In this sustained learning experience (10+ weeks) yr 9-11 students use science & digital tech to develop & test electronic possum lures. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1P_ztvPcuLSjJ0iWdNQFC1TuffGJ9utOjf-zHMCtZyTo/edit?usp=sharing
Professional Learning & Development (PLD) Opportunities
- ESS workshops in Christchurch is on Aug 15 at Hagley College. Register here email@example.com):
- Science Learning Hub is running a free online professional development webinar,Getting started with citizen science, on Th 8 Aug, 4-4:45 pm. This session will be valuable for both primary and secondary school teachers. Register here to join.
- NZASE Health & Safety workshop Waimea College Nelson 26 Aug. Flyer: https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/NZASE-Safety-in-School-Labs-course-26-Aug.pdf