|29 Jul||ESS workshop, 9.15 am – 3.15 pm. Otago Museum, 419 Great King St. Book here.|
|31 Jul||Café Scientifique on Cephalopods 6:30-8pm, Horse & Trap, 3 Enfield St, Mt Eden, Ak|
|31 Jul||Engineering Futures Evening 6:30-8pm. Owen Glenn Bldg, Ak uni|
|1 Aug||Engineering Futures Evening 6-8pm, Royal Society, 11 Turnbull St, Thorndon, Wgtn|
|4-10 Aug||Cook Islands Maori Language week www.mpia.govt.nz|
|5 Aug||Electronics workshop Dunedin 9-3:45. Book here.|
|5 Aug||Engineering Futures Evening 6-8pm, Ricoh Lounge, FMG Stadium, Frankton, Hamilton|
|5-9Aug||‘The Week of Engineering’ schools programme|
|6 Aug 1945||Hiroshima Day http://www.hiroshima-remembered.com/|
|6 Aug||ESS workshop, 9.30am-3.15pm, Taradale High School, 50 Murphy Rd. Register here.|
|6 Aug||Engineering Futures Evening 6:30-8:30pm, Owen Glenn Bldg, Ak uni|
|6 Aug||Electronics workshop, 9-3:45, Electroflash offices, Blenheim Rd, Chch. Book here.|
|7 Aug||Electronics workshop, 9-3:45, Hamilton. Book here.|
|7 Aug||ESS workshop, 9.15 am – 3.15 pm, McLaren Room, Waikato University. Rm TT 1.12.|
|8 Aug||Electronics workshop, 9-3:45, The Skills Organisation, Highbrook Drive, Ak. Book here.|
|9 Aug||Electronics workshop 9-3:45, Wgtn. Book here.|
|9 Aug||ESS workshop, 9:15-3:15, Otumoetai College, 105 Windsor Rd, Tauranga. Register here.|
|10-18 Aug||Maths Week www.mathsweek.org.nz/|
|Moon||NM Aug 1 1Q Aug 8. FM Aug 16 3Q Aug 24|
- Te Papa resources for Cook Islands Language week next week:
- Te Papa’s Cook Islands language activity book https://www.tepapa.govt.nz/learn/for-educators/teaching-resources/cook-islands-language-week-resource
- Some phrases you and your students may like to try: https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Cook-Island-Maori-phrases-2p.docx
- Results of Biology Olympiad: https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/IBO-Hungary.docx
- The inaugural exec of Secondary Chemistry Educators of NZ, SCENZ, includes co-chairs Murray Thompson & Ian Torrie, secretary Suzanne Scourfield, & treasurer Ian Phillips. Resources will soon be uploaded & available free for members – assessment tasks for the new L2 titration ach std, L2 & L3 NZIC exams.Schol exams soon. https://nzic.org.nz/scenz
- NIWA Ak City Science and Technology Fair occurs 29-31Aug at Mt Roskill Grammar School Hall, Frost Rd, Mt Roskill. Info for teachers https://scifair.org.nz/teachers.html
- The 2020 NZ Chemistry Olympiad training group selection exam will be sat on 19 Sep. Again, the exam will be done on-line through the portal of Education Perfect. Info attached: https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/NZCHO-training-group-letter.doc
- An ad will be placed in the next Education Gazette (5 Aug), seeking Expressions of Interest to both join Subject Expert Groups for the trial & pilot subjects in the NCEA review.
- NASA media library is searchable, publicly accessible and copyright free -140,000 images, sounds, and video. https://images.nasa.gov/
- 47 years of Sea temperature data could be used to identify el nino & la nina patterns: https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Sea-Temp-Data.pdf
- NASA’s Earth Wheel: Water in the Earth System– An resource where students explore & compare data from 4 satellite missions: Aquarius, GRACE, Terra, and TRMM.
- Disney Pixar’s Piper is an Oscar-winning Short Movie – a great wee video for students to point out biological “big ideas”: selection pressures or behaviours. Pru Warrington https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTjHEyEAlsc&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR0uPtX0inFAugLYXCjd4zFB1EN3bkbKG71ETAaE25LwEfjCT7ta7zihC3c
- In the engaging Periodic Videos university science professors record fires, explosions, and other visually interesting science experiments as a way to introduce and explain the properties of various chemical elements. http://www.periodicvideos.com/
- In the Rainbow Mechanic activity students place mirrors in a maze so that the sunlight reaches a prism.http://www.primarygames.com/puzzles/strategy/rainbowmechanic/
- New standard for L2 Ch titrations:
- SciPAD-sponsored roadshow explains rationale & mechanism for change, key changes to consider, teaching approaches for an acid-base titration & possible assessment tasks. Ak Tu 30July. Book asap at https://scipad.co.nz/science-talk-2019-chemistry-2-1.
- Scott Franklin has generously provided resources for 3 different redox titrations. Go tohttp://www.scholarshipchemistry.info, click on the C2.1 resource tab & register. Download resources pdfs using the code hendersonhasselbalch. Ian T, St Cuths
Want to Collaborate?
- Tim Kelly, HoF at Hurunui College, invites teachers to collaboratively develop the Possum-Free Project to create a teaching unit ready for 2020. In this sustained learning experience (10+ weeks) yr 9-11 students use science & digital tech to develop & test electronic possum lures. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1P_ztvPcuLSjJ0iWdNQFC1TuffGJ9utOjf-zHMCtZyTo/edit?usp=sharing
Professional Learning & Development (PLD) Opportunities
- ESS workshops (register here firstname.lastname@example.org):
- The Christchurch ESS workshop is on Aug 15 at Hagley College.
- Auckland: 20 Aug for those who teach full ESS courses: https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/ESS-workshop-Ak-190820-full-ESS.docx
- Auckland 19 Aug for those who teach science & ESS: https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/ESS-workshop-Ak-190819-Sci-n-ESS.docx
- Macleans College will host an NZQA Biology Best Practice workshop on Fri 27 Sep. Cost $100+, 30 spots available. If interested email Bigwood@macleans.school.nz
- A workshop exploring game-based learning as an effective teaching strategy. $99 incl lunch & morning tea. Sat 17 Aug, 8-3:30, Mission Heights Junior College, 103 Jeffs Rd, Mission Heights, Manukau, Auckland. https://bit.ly/2xYirN7
- Science Learning Hub is running a free online professional development webinar,Getting started with citizen science, on Th 8 Aug, 4-4:45 pm. This session will be valuable for both primary and secondary school teachers. Register here to join.
- NZASE Health & Safety workshop Waimea College Nelson 26 Aug. Flyer: https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/NZASE-Safety-in-School-Labs-course-26-Aug-1.pdf
- On Aug 23, Educatalysts offer an Auckland workshop focused on ‘Effective Teaching & Learning to enable Pacific Success and Unpacking Tapasā.’ Here is the link to register. Flyer: https://www.mikesnews.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Workshop-Effective-teaching-to-Enable-Pacific-Success-190823.pdf